Recommendations for $3K TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James::Mc, Nov 18, 2003.

1. James::Mc

James::Mc Extra

I'm re-doing my basement and am looking to add a TV for a home theater. Have ~$3K to spend. Seating area would be ~9-10 ft. from screen. Don't really want to go plasma b/c can't get size I would like for budget. But don't know whether to go with DSP, std. rear projection, or projector? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

FP all the way. 3k could get you started with a basic digital. 2k with an HTPC could get you all the way with a used CRT, but that is more of a project, though clearly the best PQ option.

3. James::Mc

Could you give me a little clarification on FP (front projector?), HTPC, and PQ?

Is the resolution with a projector really as good as a non-projector?

The DSP TVs seem quite nice, light, good viewing angles from anywhere - why not these?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

clarify what parts?

A DLP (which i assume you mean) is a projector, encased in a box, projecting onto the rear of a screen. This is what RPTVs are, rear projection setups in one enclosure. Front projection is the same thing, except the projector is in the room, often the ceiling, projecting onto a screen. They can be DLP, LCD, crt, etc etc.

Resolution capabilities vary depending on the projector of course. some have low capabilities, some very high, and their picture quality (PQ) attributes are very different between the different technologies. You could probably beat a CRT in terms of sheer number of pixels, but you can't beat (IMO) the smooth PQ, 3d effect, and the blacks it can achieve, which is more important, imo, since dvd is very limited resolution-wise anyway.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Is FP a good idea for a multi-use setup? I am shopping for my Den/ TV room -- not a dedicated home theater. It will be used mainly for DVD, but also for regular TV and console gaming.

I am concerned that a front projector will burn out very quickly through heavy everyday use. Any experience with that? If I have, say, $2500 total budget, would I be better off getting a separate FP and screen, or getting something along the lines of the RP Mitsubishi 555?

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'm not familiar with thar model of tv. it is a CRT RPTV, then it has ALL the same limitations in terms of used/burn-in as a FP CRT setup. (FP provides less color shifting, due to not as short a throw distance)

As for digital projection RPTVs and FPs, they can be better for ambient light rooms, since they can be really bright. for hardcore theater though, CRT is preferred. It really depends on how much light control, whether FP is feasible at all.

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks -- I'm not really considering DLP at this point, based on some things I've heard about heat and build quality issues.

8. James::Mc

I will have to look into the front projectors a little more. I had given up on these b/c I thought they were quite a bit more expensive than a DLP or LCD TV with the same picture quality. SOunds like this is not true...

If I were to stay with a "300 lb TV", wWhat are the pros and cons between a DLP and LCD - for example the Samsung DLP vs. the Sony LCD - they each have a ~50" screen for ~$3K.