recommendations: CD player for my system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Currently I use my DVD player for playing CDs off of my system. I've also lately started using my MP3 player off of my system. I'd like to get a CD player fo my system though so I could play some of my burned CDs. Also I believe I've heard from other members of this forum that a stand alone CD player is better than using your DVD player (is this true? if so why?) so I'd like recommendations for a good solid CD player. My budget is $200 and I would like to ability to read CD-rs as well as CD-RW. The last thing is I have no need for any mega 200 disc changers. I will take a 4-5 disc changer though. Thanks.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Keith, there are no absolutes, but dedicated CD players are often better than DVD players at a given price point (e.g., a $200 CD player versus a $200 DVD player). The reason is that DVD players have video circuitry that can cause interference with the audio circuitry. The more important factor to my mind is that inclusion of video circuitry can lead to compromises in the design of the audio section of DVD players in order to stay within budget. Basically, CD players are simpler components than DVD players, so a CD player will have a shorter parts list, and the design budget is not compromised by inclusion of all the parts associated with the video section.
    If we only consider CD players, a similar argument can be made regarding sound quality of single-disc players, five-disc carousel changers, and megachangers at a given price point. The single-disc player is the simplest of the three and is usually the best-sounding design. At the other end of the spectrum, the megachanger is the most complex (has the longest parts list) and is often lacking in sound quality as compared to single-disc and five-disc players for the same money.
    Now, what players should you consider? Unfortunately, it's practically impossible to find single-disc CD players these days for $200. Audio Advisor used to have the AMC CD-8B, or something like that, for $200, but I don't see it on their web site (www.audioadvisor.com) any longer. I've read good things about the AMC player for the money, so if you can find one, try it out.
    There are a few good carousel changers out there for around $200. These include the Sony SCD-CE775 ($200), Sony CDP-CA70ES ($215-300), Marantz CC4000 ($250), and Denon DCM-370 ($250). All have their pluses and minuses, so it comes down to personal preference, as always. A nice thing about the Sony 'CE775 is that is plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs, which sound better than CDs. However, the 'CE775 is lacking as a CD player in my opinion. The Marantz and Denon changers are warm-sounding, which you may or may not like. I have the Denon unit, and I think it sounds very good for the money. It offers HDCD playback, if that matters to you. HDCD isn't a big deal to me, but some people like it. The carousel drawer is a bit clunky on the Denon unit, but it is a nice changer all around. The carousel mechanism on the Marantz player is excellent. Finally, the Sony 'CA70ES gives a very clean, detailed sound for the money, and the carousel mechanism is very smooth. Note that as an ES component, the 'CA70ES comes with a five-year warranty.
    In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the carousel changers I mentioned. None of them are horror shows. Again, it comes down to personal preference. Best of luck in your search.

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Keith_R,
    I would certainly check out www.Audiogon.com for a CD player. Look at the classified ads under digital > cd players. They carry players (some used, some new) for pretty close to your price range, but you must be patient...I had to check that site every day for two weeks to find the player that I wanted. However, the player I was looking for was a bit harder to come by and was in a different price range than yours, so I'm sure you'll have easier luck finding one.
    Anyway, I just checked Audiogon a few minutes ago and a particular player came up a few times. It's the Marantz CD-63SE. I've read some decent things about this player. Go ahead and read up on it here:
    http://www.audioreview.com/CD,Player...5_1586crx.aspx
    Good luck!

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I have never gotten this arguement. A DVD player or a cd player connected digitally should only be acting as a transport.

Pricewise the markup on audio is lightyears ahead of video (in most cases). Are you connecting your new cd /or dvd player digitally and using the dac's in your receiver?

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Adil, I should have mentioned that I was assuming that the analog outputs would be used on both the CD and DVD player. I like to compare players using the analog outputs to get a good feel for the overall quality of what's inside them and to take external DACs out of the equation. Besides, I play music through stereo amps that have no DACs, so analog connections are important to me. Still, on quality systems, there can be differences in the sound when comparing transports. As an example, back when I used my Sony STR-V444ES A/V receiver and a $250 pair of Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers for music, I could very easily hear the difference between a Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel CD changer and a Pioneer CLD-D406 laserdisc player when compared as transports. I used Radio Shack optical digital cables in both cases. The laserdisc player was horrendous as a transport.

6. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Try ebay for some deals. I got my CD Player for just $ 20. SHIPPED. [​IMG] Cheap is good! And when it gives up the ghost you can buy another one! [​IMG]
    And you have your DVD player for when you want a bit more quality as well. Perfect! [​IMG]

7. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I can certainly recommend the Cambridge Audio D300se player. You can get them from audioadvisor.com for just a little over your stated budget.

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Thanks for all of your replies. I will be hooking my CD player up through the optical out put on my reciever. Another question, Are SACDs available right now and how do they sound. I'm seriously leaning towards the Sony CE-775 that Keith_h mentioned because of this feature would this feature(I would like to get into multi channel music.)Would this be a wasted feature at this point? thanks.

9. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

SACDs are available now and they sound incredible.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor