What's new

Recommendations : Bookshelf Speakers Paradigm or others (1 Viewer)

Mark Richter

Stunt Coordinator
I am torn between a few speakers

My Choices are :

Paradigm Titans

Paradigm Monitor 3 or 5

HomeTheaterDirect Level 3 mains

B&W DM303

B&W LM1

These are going to be paired with a Mirage BPS150i subwoofer and is going to be used for an apartment setup for music ( classical, pop, country, and rock) and for small home theater using an Oknyo mini system w/30w per channel in a bedroom.

Thank you all for your help.

I have a budget of $400 to spend.

Post links of other speakers you might know of.

NO BOSE, JBL, INFINITY, or other Mass Market speakers please.

Thank you again

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For TWO or more speakers?

If you only have $400 for new, then I believe both the Monitor 3 and 5 are pushing or out of your range already. The Mini Monitor would be the best choice at an MSRP of $350. I feel the Mini does a better job than the 3 (for music anyway) and the 5 is a bit better than the Mini.

However, most of the speakers you mentioned will not work very well with a low powered amplifier.

Mark Richter

Stunt Coordinator
Prices are for a pair give or take about $50

Since I am in an apartment I cannot use a full fledged receiver I have to make due until I move in 6 months but do not want to change speakers later. I do not really listen at real loud levels. Usually what I would estimate to be about 95db max.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only problem is, an underpowered receiver could much more easily damage speakers that require a fair amount power to drive them. I'd probably go for a pair of Titans which could be used later as rears (that's what I'm using them for) or be traded in for Minis, 3s or 5s later. I believe most Paradigm dealers have the trade-in policy, less than 1 yr old can be traded for some percentage of credit towards higher models.

Mark Richter

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for everyone's opinions.
I went with the Home Theater Direct Level 3 speakers due to the fact that I can try them for 30 days and return them if I do not like them for any reason for a FULL refund including shipping for a first time buyer.
http://store.yahoo.com/htd/index.html
Thank again
- Mark

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
If you only have $400 for new, then I believe both the Monitor 3 and 5 are pushing or out of your range already.
The original poster was from Chicago (I believe), so $400US should be enough. I've seen the Monitor 3's here in Winnipeg (Creative Audio is the only place in town that has those in stock) for $425CND, that would be less then $400USD. This s a current figure as I was there just last week. It's a great speaker btw, I'd like to compare it head to head with the Studio40 (which is what I think I might be going for, but it goes for about $1100CND with wood finish).

- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks