What's new

Recommendations best TV for $3k to $4k?? (1 Viewer)

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about buying a Toshiba 57HX81. ANy suggestionsrecommendations would be appreciated. I do not have any sound technical reason for this purchase. It is the right size, right price range, aspect ratio, etc but can you give me any reasons why or why not I should purchase this TV/

Thanks

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. Actually I am inquiring for someone else and it has been decided that the Elite, while hands down the better device, it is too big and black and will not look good in the room. The budget is $3k to $4k but less is NOT a bad thing!

Thanks

Claire Panke

Second Unit
If you're not in a hurry (i.e. can wait a month/6 weeks) why not take a look at the Samsung 507W DLP RP. Lotta excitement about this set...it's not too big or black, it's relatively lightweight and it's supposed to have a superb picture - the detail of an LCD with better blacks - plus, since it's a DLP, there aren't the usual burn-in and convergance issues. Check out AVS forum fo a long thread on this set.

The only negatives I've heard about the Tosh are related to the 540p & ghosting issues. Toshiba RPs have a lot of fans.

There was also a rave review in the last The Perfect Vision of one of the Hitachi CRT RPs, the 57" WS I believe. Once calibrated, the reviewer thought this one one of best RP TVs he had ever seen. The caveat with this set is it must be ISF calibrated to look good. The review is probably still up on their wesite.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
PS...Oops, sorry...I forgot to mention price...the Samy DLP is said to be available street price from $3200 to $3500, the Hitachi was around the $3200 mark.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
In that price range, you should really be considering the Pioneer (I know you said the cabinet is not ideal for the room decor... Is this just the Elite series? Have you checked the other line, as well?) and the Mitsubishi.

Great sets.

-Bruce

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I've seen the Pioneer Elite frequently mentioned in the 3-4k range. What's the current street price for a 520HD ? I thought it was still closer to 5k ?

Thanks

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,
You are right. The Elite will probably fall into the price range but one of the important factors in this case is how the display device fits into the decor. Originally, she was going to go plasma in the $6k range for the "look" but a 42" was too small and the 50" was too much $$$. Now the consideration is something big enough, at a max of $4k for a few years then plasma later ifwhen prices are less. The Elite is great no question but the price and more than anything the BIG BLACK BOX won't cut it.

Thanks

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
If the Pioneers are not an option, due to the decor, and the Mitsubishis are not an option, due to the decor, then I personally think your next best bet is the Toshiba. They are also good sets.

In your original post, you asked for reasons to buy, and reasons not to buy the Toshiba.

First, it is possible to give reasons to buy, and reasons not to buy for ALL sets. They all have flaws, and they all have strengths. Some more than others in the "critical" areas. One of your critical areas happens to be the decor.

Reasons to buy: the potential for a great picture is definitely there. It has been consistently ranked high in reviews. It is a good value for the money. It has one of the best "stretch" modes for 4 X 3 viewing, which can actually fool many into not realizing they are watching a stretched image.

Reasons not to buy: The "upconversion" from 480p on DVDs, which will introduce artifacts. And, this brand has an ongoing problem with ghosting. Actual quality of construction can be a bit of a concern (keep the weight off of the top, if possible).

The only brands I personally have found "superior" in some ways are apparently not an option, so I would go ahead and choose the Toshiba. It is a good set.

-Bruce

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce..... great answer thanks. I found the Toshiba for $2500 locally and I only want to check out the Ultravision then decide. By the way, Bruce, what's the difference between the 57HX81 and the 57H81???

Micheal.... that would be to my liking but under the cicumstances (not my house and not my TV!) the room is bright so the FP won't work.

Thanks for all the support!

Users who are viewing this thread