What's new

Recommendations: Best All-In-One Home Theater System? (1 Viewer)

Lee F. Huftalen

Auditioning
Okay, I realize that component systems are the best way to go for the optimum top of the line in sound and performance... however, they also seem to be the most expensive. I would like to hear opinions concerning which of the all-in-one home theater systems out there is the best value for your money. Going through Best Buy and Circuit City, I see many choices and brands, and also a wide range of prices.
I currently own a Panasonic RP-91 DVD Player and a Hitachi 36UX52B 36" television set (which I plan to upgrade in a few months to HDTV). So I don't have the need for a DVD player, just the receiver, speakers, cables, etc. I would also like to have THX, DD 5.1, and DTS built-in.
Can someone provide any recommendations on the best performance and value for your money? Denon, Bose, Aiwa, Panasonic, etc? Model numbers?
Thanks very much in advance!
[Edited last by Lee F. Huftalen on November 05, 2001 at 06:02 AM]

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Having the t.v. and DVD Player helps you a lot but what is you budget.
------------------
ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
DISMEMBERMENT...
Link Removed

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Cambridge Soundworks (www.hifi.com) has a system for $499.98. Haven't heard it myself but they do have a money back guarantee.
Also, www.hometheaterdirect.com has a nice speaker system for $479 but it doesn't include a receiver like the Cambridge system does. So you would go a little over budget when you add a receiver. Maybe you can spend a little more?
I heard a saying once (not sure where) that I like to use in situations like this...You often regret spending too little but almost never regret spending too much.
Good luck with your search.
-Keith
P.S.
You might also want to post your thoughts on your system once you make a purchase and get it set up. People always seem to be looking for info on equipment in this price range.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Well your not going to find any THX select HTB's. Maybe a package deal but not for $500.
But.. the Kenwood HTB-504 can be had for around $500, and has all the goodies like dts, Pro Logic 2, 5 CH. stereo(circle surround) Lots and lots of inputs.
Check it out I think you'll like it.
Here's the 504 for $385
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 05, 2001 at 11:01 PM]

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
......Nothing with the letters "B, O, S, E" in it.
In that order too.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes there is, it's (over priced)crrrrrap. That Kenwood HTIB is nice and would blow the doors off most Bose systems.

KevinF

Auditioning
I'll add another recomendation for the Kenwood
HTB system Picked it up for my parents and was quite
impressed. It is available in a lot of B&M stores also.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
For $500, you can forget about THX certification. As an aside, THX will only come into play if the receiver, sub, and speakers are all THX certified. Otherwise, don't give it any consideration.
For the $500 price range, I'd go with the Kenwood HTiB. That should do well initially for you.

Lee F. Huftalen

Auditioning
Based upon the recommendations here for the Kenwood product, I decided to get the HTB-553 Home Theater System. The sales folks told me it is a step upgrade to the 504. Any opinions here of the 553?

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
The HTB553 has one woofer in the center channel, it also has Circle Surround. The HTB504 has two woofers in the center channel and has Circle Surround and Dolby Pro Logic 2.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
The HTB504 is the better buy. The Circle Surround is like DPL2 with the surrounds and bass much more active. Not sure why it's cheaper.

Lee F. Huftalen

Auditioning
I contacted Kenwood's Customer Service and asked them for a comparison between the HTB-553 and HTB-504. According to them, the 553 comes with a much better receiver and better remote (with screen) than the 504 system. Even though the 553 is a Year 2000 model, and the 504 is a Year 2001 model, they recommended the 553 as the better buy if I could still find one.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Did they tell you in what way was the VR-409 receiver better than the VR-507? I think the remote is better with the 553, but the center channel that comes with the 504 is better. IMHO the VR-507 is the better receiver with DPL2. Either one will do, it depends on if you prefer DPL2 or a better remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks