What's new

Recommendation? Sony or Yamaha or Onkyo (1 Viewer)

Brian Kenako

Auditioning
I have a 50" Sony LCD rear projection. For my receiver, I'm looking at a Sony ST-DAR2000es, Yamaha RX-V1400 or Onkyo TS-XR701. They're all around the same price. Anyone have any recommendations? It's going into our bonus room which is quite large.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I like the Onkyo out of those choices best myself. Have you auditioned all three? What did you think? In the end go with the one you think sounds better. They are all decent products. I'll bet the Sony has the most features huh?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
No, trying to match brands just for remote sake has made me purchase inferior products in the past. Most AVR remotes will learn your peripherals. Don't let the matching name and remote keep you from buying the AVR with the features and sound you want. Download each manual, go through it and that will help you decide. Me, I'd be hard pressed to note a change in sound from receiver to receiver on the same set of speakers. So look at ease of use, features and cost.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I would recommend the Yamaha or Onkyo over the Sony. Each of the 2 has its features over the other one.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I recommend the Yamaha RX-V1400 over all your other choices.

By the way, it has a fully learning remote.

ZachT

Auditioning
Go with the yamaha v1400 better features for lower price. You will not be disapointed in the yammie. Look at onkyo and the yamaha website for features.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
GO with the Onkyo Over all the others or maybe ...Denon
I have owned the others and Onkyo seems to have the best build and qualtiy

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm throughly impressed with my Onkyo 601-sounds more like my NAD amps than my old HK225

rogo

PatrickDT

Grip
Hi there.

I hate to pull out the 'paying for the name' card, but I believe in this case it's true, which takes SOny out of the picture in my humble opinion, aside from even that I think the Onkyo or the Yamaha will give you more for you bank. If you listen to a lot of music The Yamaha has a better 5 and 7 ch stereo than the Onkyo does, aside from that, their features and quality I think are about the same, but I personally would take the Yamaha, hell for no more than 100 bucks more you could probably move yourself into the RX-V2400 and gain the YPAO calibration system, and the component upconversion, which I don't believe the 1300 has...

Long story short, take the Yamaha

al s

Auditioning
i agree with the yamaha, then onkyo recommendations. The reason i do is i spent close to 15 years in the audio/video repair field. Our service dept was attached to a retail store which sold all 3 brands you mention. From a service standpoint (i must admit ive been out of that field for 8 years now) Yamaha was a quality built product,and at which time a Yamaha reciever/tape deck etc failed(all brands do break !!),support was excellant, units were easy to diagnose/troublshoot etc. Onkyo was a close 2nd,,good product, fairly good support..Sony?? well...all the techs would kinda cringe when a piece of Sony came into the shop. Whether it be a reciever or TV set or some other piece of gear> Internal circuitry was usually only common to Sonys,replacement parts also were only common to thier product, parts shipping was always slower etc etc..NOW things may have changed in the years ive been out of it,But my audio equipment at home is all Yamaha, no regrets...good luck.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've had good luck with Yamaha. I have had poor luck with Sony. Actually, I had one poor experience with one Sony, and I've never looked back.

Don't know anything useful to say for or against Onkyo.

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Listen to em all and buy what u like.Seems funny that if the sony is most prone to beak but has the best warranty?I bought a 9000es a couple days ago and i think sound was close between the rz9 and the 9000 but the dvi switching made the choice.Es pieces are getting a bad rap imho.

Jamie Peters

Agent
I looked at the same Yamaha and Onyko receivers when I was getting ready to buy about a month ago. I listened to both locally. My ears could not tell any difference. I hate to say it but I made my final decision on looks (I liked the looks of the Onkyo better) and the fact that I got free shipping on the Onkyo. I have had it installed now for a week or so and I really like the 701.

RolandM

Stunt Coordinator

Exactly. (Although Sony kind of brings it on themselves a little with the shoddy DE (regular) line of receivers.)

I too would recommend the DA2000ES over the others, but as people have said already be sure to check out all the details on each and see which would suit you better becasuse, really, they are all decent receivers IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks