What's new

Recommendation on progressive scan DVD (1 Viewer)

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all:
Well, the time seems to be drawing near to get a progressive scan DVD. From reading the posts in this forum it appears that a unit with the Silicon Image chipset is the way to go. Is there another chipset that does the job as well? I'll be plugging this into a TW56x81.
Any recommendations for specific models/vendors will be appreciated. Or, would I be better off to wait another 6 months?

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
William - The Faroudja Labs (SAGE) chipset is supposedly superior to that of the SI, but also has a few tradeoffs. The new Kenwood 5 disc and 300 disc changers will feature this chipset and many are anticipating these 2 players in the next few weeks. The Phillips Q50 also incorporates these as well, but its implementation has already required a firmware update from what I understand.
If you're getting ready to buy, you picked a good time to research it, but I would wait till early next quarter to see how the manufacturers are able to maximize the potential of the SAGE and SI chips. From what I understand Denon is going to use a second generation Genesis chipset as well.
Elbert

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I also own a Toshiba TW 56X81 HD TV and purchased the JVC 723 some time ago and am very pleased with the results. Soudn & Vision and Home Theater Magazine both gave sterling reviews of the 723.
The unit has three progressive scan formats, one being labeled "Film" which works very well with incorrectly flagged DVD's. This is very important because many leterbox DVD, such as Mission Impossible, Titanic, are incorrectly flagged.
The 723 will also convert letterbox 4 x 3 DVD's to anamorphic 16 x 9. A great feature that improves picture quality and really places a questin mark on whether there is a benefit in re-buying Armagedden, the Abyss and many other letterbox titles.
The unit process progressive scan with 3:2 pulldowen, de-interlaced scanning, eliminating jagged edges and jittery pictures. And for as litle as $299.00 it is really hard to beat this unit. JVC uses the highly acclaimed National Semiconductor chip set. As an added bonus the 723 also plays DVD Audio.
Good luck in your search.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have any information on the Philips Q50 DVD player? I read the Progressive Scan DVD Player shootout, and this player seemed to be one of the best. I have not been able to find this product for sale. Is the player even available yet? Does anyone know the MSRP? Is there another player that would provide better performance?
[Edited last by Marc_Sulinski on September 06, 2001 at 12:37 PM]

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
If you're gonna look at a JVC model, look at the SA75GD or SA70BK models. They're the "newer model" of the 723. It has 5 progressive scan modes, including Auto, Smart, Film, and a couple others that I forget off hand. It also plays DVD-A.
I had mine shipped from jandr.com for $250.
For the money, it can't be beat.
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks