Recommendation for progressive DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Woodyard, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Matt Woodyard

Anyone have any recommendations for a progressive DVD player for use with a Sony 61HS10 RPTV? This is a 4:3 set but can do the anamorphic squeeze to take advantage of 16:9 enhancement. I currently have the older Toshiba 5109 which has been a great unit but would like to upgrade if it would improve my picture. Don’t know if any of you remember but many of us who purchased the hs10 series TV’s had this "banding" problem which created white streaks when a bright object appeared on the left side of the screen. Unfortunately, I suffered with this problem and have used a service menu "tweak" to reduce it to an acceptable level. Anyone know if the newer prog. players have eliminated this problem? I'm currently considering either the Tosh 4700 or the Pana rp56 but would be willing to consider anything reasonable. One other question I have for you guys, my 5109 seems to have a fairly long pause at the layer change location on dvd's and was wondering if the newer units have reduced this/handle it better? Thanks ahead of time for your advice especially if there are any hs10 users out there who have had good experiences with any particular progressive player.

2. Matt Woodyard

how about the denon 1600? anyone have any comments on that unit?

3. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

anyone have info on the denon 1600? a review perhaps?

4. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

Here you go:
    First off, if you like The Panisonic, before you buy, check out the Toshiba SD-4700. It is an amazing player, and it'll play everything...CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3s, VCD, MPEG, MPEG II, DVD-R, ETC. What's also nice is that it actually decodes 7.1 files (MPEG II). It's a DVD-Audio player, and mine is very good with seamless patching...very little pause, most of the time. Same price range, too.
    About the Denon 1600. From what I've heard, it seems to be pretty nice. I may be mistaken, but from what I've heard, the Denon is very similar to Toshiba. I forget what model it was compaird to, though. What is the Denon 1600 going for?
    Also, don't buy the Toshiba 5700 Cinema Series...It's the same as the 4700, but it plays HDCD, and is more expensive. When was the last time you bought an hdcd?!?!?!
    [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The Sony 715 is a steal at its MSRP--and a solid performer that amazes all who view it.

For a more high end-looking unit, Sony's 9000ES and Toshiba's 9200 are fine machines.

Really, there are so many good prog-scan players at just about all price points now.

6. Matt Woodyard

Hmm...can't seem to find a listing for a Sony 715 on their website. You arent by chance talking about the ns700p are you? That unit seems to be a pretty good value for the asking price,

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Matt, you might want to consider JVC. I've had the S60 for nearly 5 months, the picture is awesome. Now, read this thread over at HTT by it's owner Mike Knapp. It is a steal of a machine with excellent progressive picture, auto upscaling and much more for $229.
    Cheap JVC player looks better than my Sony 9000??
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. ToddG

ToddG Auditioning

I would take a second look at the Panasonic RP56 (soon to be RP62 I believe). It has the Sage/Faroudja chip and tests out extremely well. Read the article associated with the link below. It explains the difference between prog scan DVD players well and has a link to their test results at the bottom.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

9. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

Didn't JVC have a fairly large-scale recall on their DVD players a few years ago? They sent my friend a voucher for a new unit because of it. His died, and he contacted JVC, after finding out about a potential Class Action Suit. Actually, I like the picture quality the JVC puts out, but I'm not liking the overall sound quality.

10. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I'm trying to make a similar decision... RP91, tosh 4700, or the new RP62/82,etc.

I've loved my Tosh players even with the problems. The new players seem to have a better picture.

The Panasonic new players I'm not sure if they have a zoom/scale which I need for those 4:3 letterboxed movies I've grown to hate.

I've got a RP91 on order and I'm now seconding gessing the decision...

what to do, what to do?

11. Iian M

Iian M Auditioning

Not to hi-jack Matt's thread....

But what about Toshiba's SD3750 ? I'm aware it lacks DVD-A, but is it considered to be as good as the 4700, PQ wise ? I not too absolute on getting that or a Panasonic. I'm also considering saving up for Arcam's DV88 or possibly the FMJ DV-27 instead.