What's new

Recommendation for IDE Raid 1 controller? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for a good, but inexpensive RAID 1 (IDE Disk Mirroring) controller card. The OS would be Windows 2000 Server.

Any suggestions?

I'm tempted to go with the Promise IDE-TX20 model (for around $100) unless a better alternative emerges.

TIA.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Ever thought of upgrading your MB. You could get MSI or ASUS with RAID and it would only cost you $20 over the non-RAID board.

If you want really cheap...use the software RAID 1 built in to 2000.

That said, the promise cards get the job done from what I've read.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I have a number of computers set up with RAID using on board RAID controllers, RAID controller cards, and software RAID. All of them work well but I do have to say that the hardware units do perform much better and don't add much if any overhead to your system. My $.02.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
for cheap get the rocket raid cards from newegg, from performance tests that I have seen they are top of the line despite being inexpensive.. for high performance hardware, look into an adaptec harware solution, they have a couple hardware IDE raid cards.

Bill Wise

Agent
Patrick,

I've used Promise, SIIG, and Adaptec with good success. Promise and SIIG will be simple and less expensive while the Adaptec will be more complex to set up and not necessarily any better for your particular application.

Regards,

Bill

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Rocket is best for RAID 1 if you're only using 2 channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks