Recommendation for hard drive -- 100gb or more

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Woodrow, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

I'm in search of another hard drive to add to my music/video server PC (running WinXP). I'm thinking of adding one in the 100 to 160 gb range -- where is the point of diminishing returns in terms of price/storage ratios?

And, because I'm using it principally for *.wav storage and playback over a LAN, can I get by with a 7200 rpm or 5400 rpm drive?

Finally, drive noise is not a tremendous issue, but HEAT is, given that it will be sharing a Lian Li mid-tower with 2 other hard drives, a CD-RW, and a DVD drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

AFAIK, the point of diminishing returns is around 120gb right now. That's the size I bought a little while ago and I think the price per GB went up pretty steep after that. I use all Western digital and they seem fine to me. I also have a Maxtor firewire HD and that works good too. I would pick either of those two companies. And as far as speed goes, my maxtor external is 5400 and it ran fine for music playback, the seek times on music and such is not that critical. Having said that though I got A WD 7400rpm when I sawitched my music server to be internal. The point I think I'm making is you can get by with either.

Make sure you have plenty of cooling fans in your case when you start to fill it up. I have an Alienware that houses my music server and it has a separate fan just for the harddrives...heat=death. Other than enough fans you should be fine.

Jeff

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Just to give you an idea of how slow a hard disk you can

use and still be able to stream MP3's without a glitch.

I ran a Zip Parallel 100 Drive on my old machine with the

Parallel Port set to ECP+EPP and I streamed MP3's right off

the Zip Disks with no hiccups of studders. For MP3 only you

could easily use a cheapie 5400 RPM drive. If you plan on

using anything else on the drive (applications) you might

as well spend a little more and get the 7200 RPM Ultra ATA-100

drive.

And I will also vouch for Western Digital (Caviar Series) I

have one in my new machine that I used in my old machine

it's a 1.6GB and it's 7+ years old and has no dead sectors!

My new machine has a 60GB main drive which is a Seagate

Ultra ATA-100 7200 RPM Barracuda and it is also a great drive

thus far.

4. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Jeff.

I think the Lian Li, when I get everything transferred to it, will have at least 3 case fans as well as the PS fan and the CPU fan. I'll use Motherboard Monitor to make sure everything stays cool enough. I will be leaving it on 24/7, so that's why I'm putting some $$ into the case.

Have you experimented with RAID arrays? I've never set one up, but I'm considering it for the security of having a redundant drive. It's expensive, though, having two identical 120GB drives holding only 120GB of data!

I think you're right about the price on the drives -- above 120 and the price really goes up.

- Ken

5. Rich Boykin

Rich Boykin Auditioning

Personally I use a linux box running samba for all my media storage...mp3's divx movies, etc....

I use a raid array of 2 80gig maxtor 5400 rpm drives for my movie collection (striped, not mirrored) and under linux it's very easy to setup and maintain (if you a *nix head).

I agree with the earlier post re: 120g being the sweet spot right now...I got a 120 maxtor drive for ~180 a few weeks ago...

Cheers,

Rich

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    We use RAID level 5 at the office. The space is calculated as the total space on all available drives minus the space on a single drives. So if you have five 120 GB drives, your total space is 600 - 120 = 480 GB. The operating system sees the combination of drives as a single 480 GB drive, so the huge drive can be partitioned any way you like. The RAID controller takes care of the rest.

We strongly encourage our clients to go with a RAID server. Quite a few of them learned the hard way how well they work when one of the drives in their computer suddenly died on them. To fix the problem, just pull out the defective drive and insert a new one. Afterwards, start the Rebuild operation manually if necessary.

And all this without having to turn off the power or reboot the computer! It's quite a sight to behold!

7. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

raid certainly is sweet, isnt it?

i wouldnt reccomend IBM drives. ive had two (including the 75gxp which is supposed to be the problem child) without incident, but just to be safe...

i would recommend the maxtor diamond max series however