What's new

Recommendation for DVD player - dvd+r (1 Viewer)

Tim Mousel

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a DVD player but it needs to play DVD+r. Looking to spend $100-$150.

Any suggestions?

Also, when a dvd player says it plays DVD+RW does that mean it will also play DVD+R?

Thanks,

Tim

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hi Tim,
This area is for DVD, etc., a home theater publication. The place you want to post this message is in the Audio/Video Sources section of Home Theater Forum. I'm sure they can help you out there. :)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Tim,
Not sure you can fill that order unless you get a open box deal.
WWW.onecall.com has a Panny RP-82 for $206 and it will play DVD-RAM.
All other models that play all of the dvd+r & dvd+RW are well over the $300 range.Maybee someone here can find you one cheaper.I could not.:b

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Try bestbuy.com. Free shipping, for now. No idea about which brands are best, but they have (and this is just an example) this Toshiba for

"Toshiba DVD Player with Integrated MP3 Decoder — SD-1800
Plays DVD, DVD-R, CD, CD-R/RW, Video CD and MP3-encoded discs; includes virtual surround sound and 4x zoom functions"

for $99.99. Maybe you can get it for cheaper elsewhere, who knows?

Dan

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Tim:

I'd go with a company who's DVD recorders are in the + format. Among makers of DVD players, this includes (but is not limited to):

Philips, Sony, Mitsubishi, and Yamaha.

I'd stay away from companies that ONLY do DVD-R, as SOME of the players (especially starting now) may REFUSE to play + discs as sort of a 'snub'/marketing ploy. I may be wrong about this, but I think its better to be safe than sorry. I fear that the format war will heat to a boil VERY soon.

Tim Mousel

Auditioning
Hi,

Thanks for the input.

When a dvd player says it plays DVD+RW does that mean it will also play DVD+R?

For example, a player I'm looking at has this description, "Enjoy CD-R/CD-RW, DVD-R/DVD+RW, DVD-RW (Video Mode),". It doesn't specifically say DVD+R, so will it play that format?

Any other dvd recommendations?

Thanks,

Tim

JoeyB

Agent
Playback of DVD+R or DVD-R will be somewhat dependent on the brand of media, so it is hard to generalize. You may want to check out vcdhelp.com (link below). Look under the "DVD players" section. They have extensive data on media/format compatibility for a huge number of players, along with user comments.
http://www.vcdhelp.com

Ernest

Supporting Actor
You will have to buy a Sony and the cost is well over $100.00. Probably in the $300.00-500.00 range.I seen an advertisement for the new Sony DVD player that is compatiable with the Philips DVD recorder. Reads DVD+R and DVD+RW. I didn't pay much attention to the add because I have a DVD-R / DVD-RAM recorder and I am not very interested in DVD+R and RW. It is just my opinion but I think the RAM recorders are better because they incorporate "Flexible Recording" and special recording filters resulting in recordings much closer to commercial DVD quality. I purchased the Panasonic 82 that reads DVD-RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks