Recommendation for Budget Headphones

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Wetzel, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Tim_Wetzel

Tim_Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I am a novice when it comes to home theater, but I know absolutely _nothing_ when it comes to headphones. I am looking for some to use with my computer so that I can test mp3's that I extract and encode. (My computer speakers are easily overpowered.) I am not looking to spend much money, but I do need them to sound good. The mp3 errors that sometimes occur for me are noise artifacts from ripping and/or strange high-frequency bleeding (the high stuff seems to be saturated into one sound) from encoding; these are what I need to detect. I don't really know what the preferred features of good headphones are; what constitutes good/bad quality?.

What would you recommend and where should I look to purchase headphones? What attributes should I be pay attention to when shopping?

Thanks!

Tim

2. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the Grado SR-60's if I was you. They can be had for about $65 if you search around. Call up some local vendors and what not. If you'd like to spend a bit more, go with the SR-80s (I have these) for about $90. Both don't require amplification (like many do), and both sound fantastic. Go over to Audio Review and look up the Grado's...raving reviews!

3. Tim_Wetzel

Thanks, Dan! I'll check them out ASAP!

Tim

4. Tim_Wetzel

Do you use your 80s with an amplifier? I read that the 80s don't require one, but that it's recommended to utilize the full capabilities of the headphones. I won't be using an amplifier (not for now, at least), so this will affect my decision.

Also, where should I be shopping for these?

Thanks!

Tim

5. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Tim I use the SR80s at work driving them from the headphone out on the cheapo Harman Kardon powered speakers that came with the computer and they sound damned good. Could they sound better with an amp? Dunno, but for how I use them I am totally satisfied. If one is looking for the ultimate in headphone sound then SR80s is not where to start, but for a total investment of under $100 I think the SR80s are hard to beat. I purchased mine from a Cambridge Soundworks Store. A good web headphone dealer is that I have done business with is Headroom. Their web address is:
    www.headphone.com
    Regards, Nick

6. Tim_Wetzel

That's pretty much the setup I will have at my PC as well. I'll also use them with my Discman at times. I found them on Ebay for $75 + shipping; I'll try and put in a bid for $76 with 20 seconds left on the clock. [​IMG]
    I read a review for the 80s in which he broke them in by letting them play for 30 hours. Is this really necessary for me, or did he do that simply for the purpose of the review?
    Thanks!
    Tim

7. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

$120 bucks
    Or you can go for a $40 dollar pair at Radio Shack The optimus Pro40. They sound pretty good to me.

8. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Breakin' them in sometimes just makes them sound better faster I spose. I use the 80s without an amp through my Onkyo TX-DS595, and through my walkman and PC CDROM headphone port and they all sound very good; perhaps an amp would sound marginally better...but for the cost they sound phenomenal to me!