Recommendation for $600 TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chytra, May 19, 2001.

1. Chytra

Chytra Auditioning

Can someone recommend me a TV for about $600-$700? 32" preferable but I can do with 27" (viewing area is fairly close to the TV)
    I would go with the Sony Wega 27" for 600$ but I am not a videophile so I really do not know about other brands... my two requirements are that it is

2. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

I would check out the JVC "D" Series or the Toshiba's. Both seem to be well liked on this forum. As for size I would go with a 32 inch tube over the 27 inch tube especially for dvd's. A 32 inch tube is around 40% bigger than a 27 inch. You might want to do a price search on the Toshiba or JVC at www.pricescan.com Once you have the lowest price I would then try to get Sears to price match it. To check out the JVC or Toshiba I would go to Bernies's or Sears. If your really looking for a low priced 32 inch tv you might also want to check out Samsung they should be available at Bernies's or Tweeter. For the best price I would say it's Sears if you can get them to match an internet price but you may have to fight with them. Bernie's is not bad either but plan on "really" fighting with them for a low price.

3. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Agent

I just bought a JVC 32D202.
    Great TV
    Paid $550 plus $100 shipping.
    Alot more features and connectors than the 32 inch Wega for half the price.

4. Chytra

Chytra Auditioning

*sigh* The JVC 32" will not fit in my entertainment shelf thingy (which was fairly expensive in itself)... it allows for a 32" wide thing, and I think I saw that the JVC was 33"? Can you confirm?

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

The Toshiba 32A60 can be had for $600 and www.tweeter.com has a 32 inch Samsung listed for $600 as well. The Toshiba web page has a nice chart listing the features of the various A series tvs as well as physical dimensions. I believe the 32A60 comes in under 31 inches wide. It has both a Svideo and a component input.
    The JVCs, since they have the speakers mounted on the sides, are probably too wide...I believe they come in just under 34 inches or perhaps 35 inches wide.
    hope this helps,
    --tom

6. Carol Curtis

You might also want to take a look at the JVC "REGULAR" Series the speakers are on the bottom so they are not as wide as the "D" series. Also no way would I pay $ 600 for a 32 inch Samsung. If you don't need P-I-P the 32 inch Samsung can be had for around $450 check Bernie's for it because I think Tweeter only carries the Samsung 32 inch with P-I-P. For Samsung tv prices check http://www.jandr.com that is if you want the Samsung.

7. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Agent

The JVC 32D202 is 36 inches wide.
    The speakers on the side make the TV difficult to fit in a small cabinet.
    My wife reminds me of that daily, as we look for a new cabinet. The bigger the cabinet, the less cabinet colors to choose from.

8. Carol Curtis

From the companies websites
    32 INCH TV's
    JVC "REGULAR" Series
    30 1/4" wide 26 1/4" high 21 1/2 deep
    SAMSUNG
    30" wide 27 1/8" high 21 5/8" deep
    TOSHIBA
    30.8" wide 27.3" high 23.1 deep

9. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

It should also be noted that the new line of JVC "regular" series 32 inch tvs come with both a component and a Svideo input. In looking at the specs for the AV-32D302 and the AV-32230, I don't see that much of a difference. Speakers have a little more power in the D series set, the horizontal resolution is listed as the same (700), both have a 3 line digital comb filter. About the only real difference I see is that the D302 comes with two Svideo inputs as opposed to just one for the 230. Anyone else know the differences between these two models? Has anyone seen them side by side?

10. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Agent

woops, I have the 32d502
    My bad.
    Dual Tuner Picture in Picture
    3-Line Digital Comb Filter
    Component Video Input
    Illuminated Universal Remote with TV/VCR and DVD Control Capability
    2 S-Video Inputs
    800 Lines Horizontal Resolution
    Hyper Scan High Speed Channel Changer
    32" Diagonal Full Square Dark Tinted
    Picture Tube
    BBE High Definition Audio
    15 Color Icon-based Super Command OSD: English, French, Spanish
    MTS Stereo with SAP
    Hyper Surround Sound
    TV Speakers On/Off in Menu, Front Firing Side Speakers
    Audio Output 5.0 Watts x 2 Speakers
    Return +
    Plug in Menu
    Theater Status
    Multi-Function Timer
    Sleep Timer
    Channel Guard
    Closed Caption w/Text
    Black Level Expansion
    Apacon
    V-Chip
    XDS Auto Clock Set
    3 AV INPUTs (2 Rear, 1 Front)
    AV COMPU LINK EX
    Variable Audio Output
    Energy Star Compliant
    RF Input
    Weight: 149.6 lbs.

11. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Agent

same price and comments as before.
    I just forgot that it was the 32D502

12. Chytra

Chytra Auditioning

Wow, thanks for all the replies...
    Just for the reference I have a budget home theater (csw movieworks 408 + onkyo 575x + pioneer dv-333) so TV speakers are irrelevant... I use DirecTv too...
    The toshiba 32" sounds good... Whats up with the 32AX60? Are there any serious differences between their 32" TVs (in picture quality)?
    Also, I was wondering though, how the old Sony trinitrons are?
    And which would yield better picture quality, the Toshiba or Samsung, or the lower model JVC that will fit in my shelf?
    All I really need is good picture quality of a good size, one s-video input, and one composite video input... nothing else really important... except price that is...

13. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I don't think people, who have been kind enough to share their opinions on various web sites/forums, have noticed a difference between the 32AX60 and the 32A60. There may indeed be one (perhaps better picture tube from Toshiba?). As for picture quality, this is really subjective. You'll have to go look at the sets yourself and if you can, bring an Avia DVD with you and put it threw some basic patterns/tests. To get an idea of what everyone likes/hates about these sets, check out www.audioreview.com for "amateur" reviews/opinions on televisions as well as most other home theater products.
    hope this helps,
    --tom

14. Carol Curtis

If I was you I would go with the "NEW" regular JVC, but that's just me. I would not buy the Samsung unless money is an issue? because it doesn't have "COMPONENT VIDEO" inputs which you really want for your DVD player because it will give you a better picture than the S-Video input. Both the "NEW" JVC & TOSHIBA have "COMPONENT VIDEO" inputs. I don't know if your Pioneer has component video outputs or not? but even if it doesn't if you get a tv that has them you will be set if you ever have to replace the Pioneer DVD player. Just remember, the tv will probably outlast your dvd player & why not look ahead to the future. I don't know what the cable system is in your area is for lines of Horizontal resolution for regular tv? but the last time I was in Bernie's most of the sets almost all looked the same to me for picture quality & it was very hard to judge which had the best picture. I know I played with a Sony & nowhere
    was the picture as sharp as my neighbors same model Sony is
    and I figured it was either the cable system or Bernies has the signal split just too may times. Whatever set you do get I can tell you this don't judge the picture quality at the store judge it at your house & make sure you can return it if your unhappy with it. Believe it or not one of my neighbors bought 2 different sets one from Sears & one from Tweeter and then he returned the one he din't like! Just something to consider.

15. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I will say that the color decoder on the Toshiba A series is pretty decent with little or no difference in intensity between red, green and blue (+/- 5 percent on the Avia color decoder pattern) but that my Toshiba 27A40 did seem to suffer from an overemphasis of green in the lower end of the greyscale. This was "fixed" by simply lowering the GCUT parameter a few notches in the service menu. Some peoples' eyes are more sensitive to the green in dark scenes than others (for example, I went back to a few stores and all the 32 inch Toshiba A series tvs I looked at seemed to suffer from this so it's more than likely my eyes). This is something to look for. Whichever tv you get, I recommend calibrating it with Avia and if you can bring the Avia disc with you when you go to the shop and see if they'll let you look at the resolution pattern, the color decoder pattern, etc. Buying two tvs and bringing them both home and trying them out sounds like a good idea as long as you don't mind the extra weight lifting involved. Be warned that these 32 inch tvs are pretty heavy - > 110 pounds. Also, be sure your stand/entertainment unit can take that kind of weight.
    Carol, is Bernie's a chain or a local/regional store? I've never heard of them up in our neck of the woods.
    cheers,
    --tom

16. Carol Curtis

Bernies's is a local CT, MA & RI chain. Pretty good service & prices too if you are willing to really fight with them. [​IMG]

17. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Carol, I live in Ma. Do you know of any locations up here? e.g. Natick Mall, etc?

18. Carol Curtis

Tom, the only store that is in Mass is in Springfield.