Recommend something!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Roger D, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Roger D

Roger D Agent

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 130 receiver that states 50W per channel (2 channel) and 45W per channel (5 channel).

I'd like to buy some floorstanding speakers, but don't know what to get. I've been reading reviews and am going in circles.

I'm willing to spend around $800 CAD, but the catch is that they have to be common enough that I can easily purchase the center and surrounds when I get more money.

I like my speakers to look big and tall.
    The room size is probably about 12' x 14'.

Any recommendations?

Also, a lot of speaker specs state really wide amplifier ranges i.e. 10W - 400W? How is that information useful?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

It's not. Ignore this type of stat on speakers. Now one stat that would be interesting is the efficiency of the speaker (e.g. 90db). This tells you how easy the speaker is to drive, but you've got a solid amplifier so you should be able to push any speaker in your price range.

I would recommend looking at Paradigm as they are often less expensive in Canada and they make great speakers.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I'd add Klipsch to the list. Their bright sound seems to match well with H/K's warm sound and their high efficiency rating would help you get the most out of your 45 wpc (more like 55-60 if it's somewhat underrated like most other H/K avr's). And I see you like towers (so do I), but in a smaller room like yours, a better quality bookshelf would probably yield better quality sound. But of course, it's up to you.

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Are you looking to get the 5 speakers are just a stereo set for now?

5. Roger D

Roger D Agent

I'd prefer to just get 2 speakers (stereo) for now due to lack of money.

My end goal is to have 5.1, but I know money will get even tighter later since I'm getting married, buying house, etc. That's why I want to stay within mainstream brands. They're easier to pick up used too.

However, if there is a 5.1 set up that someone recommends not too far off from $1000 CAD I could consider stretching into it.

I'll be honest, my budget is still a little undetermined. That really opens too many doors.

6. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Paradigm Studio series, 20's or 40's. The 40's should give you sufficient bass untill you get a sub.

7. Luna5

Luna5 Agent

I don't know about availability in CA but I really like my Infinity Beta 50 speakers. They are rather large floor standing speakers that have a very smooth response with geat mid and high dispersion so you have a fairly wide range of seating positions that still offer very good imaging and response. Bass is surprisingly good without a sub and the Beta 50 couples with the C360center channel speaker perfectly. You an buy a pair of refurbished Beta 50's for around $500.00 on line. Check out the Infinity on line site for a list of authorized dealers and you will find the name of an authorized dealer for their refurbished speakers which I can highly recommend. You could check with them as far as selling to you in Canada. I just checked their site....only ship to US. Sorry for that! There is a contact number on the Infinity web site for Canada and I'm sure they can help find a dealer if your interested.

8. Roger D

Roger D Agent

I listened to the Klipsch F-1s today at Best Buy. I wasn't thrilled, but the testing environment was terrible. I kept thinking of bringing them home to test, but I didn't.

I'm thinking about the Athena AS-F2.2 now. It has pretty good reviews and I think it's more of what I'm looking for in terms of range. Any comments?

Also, I'm thinking of buying a set for mains, and a set for surrounds. Generally, do we get better performance using bookshelf size as surrounds, or are floor standing size surrounds just as good. I figure I'll be happy with the 6ch music if I get floor standing surrounds.

Thanks for you help.

9. Roger D

Roger D Agent

Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mr. Impulsive. I get a mild sniff of something I might want and I quickly turn it into something I need, and before I know it, I can't do without it. As went the way with my tv, my receiver, and now my speakers.

And to make matters worse [​IMG] I went out and bought a pair of Athena AS-F2.2 for $449 CAD at Future Shop and added some AS-B2.2 for rear surrounds. I got the B2.2 for $80 CAD since they were demos. These were a great deal since I've found them for $177-$250 US online.

Anyway I quickly hooked up the F2.2s and they sound nice. I'm quite pleased. I yearn to listen more but had to stop very soon due to sleepers here at home. The B2.2s haven't been connected yet. It may be a long time before I connect them as rears, but I'll do a quick check with them as fronts to make sure they work ok.

All this after somebody's recommendation, or me seeing an add, and then reading some reviews. All this literally happened about 24hrs ago....4 hours of internet research, 7 hours restless sleep, 8 hours at work, a 1 hr drive to the closest store with them in stock, and 1hr waiting on the worst salesperson ever while he ran around confused and pissy because he didn't have any B2.2s in stock and I wouldn't leave without any.

I'll post more after I listen more, but for now....Thank you to all of you home theatre obsessives for recruiting me into your cult.

10. Roger D

Roger D Agent

So far the Athenas are a great speakers for the price. Well worth it. The range is excellent, they have a nice warm sound, and a slight brightness that I enjoy. They are extremely efficient compared to my old Technics, but that's not even a fair comparison. Only critical thing so far is that they seem to lack some mid range. Sometimes nice and warm, but sometimes lacking the mid range. But I haven't pushed them much. I'll wait for a while before I turn the volume up. Recommended 50 hrs??? That could take me a while.