Recommend Some Bookshelf Speakers for $100-$200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lin Park, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

A friend is looking to get some bookshelf speakers for general listening and doesn't want to spend more than $200. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. He listens to mostly jazz and has low to mid-fi electronics.

Thanx,

Lin

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

You may be able to find some PSB Alpha's for the price of about $150-$200 online. They are awesome for the price and are the first speakers that I bought seriously regarding audio/HT.

Good Luck

3. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff
    I'd recommend the Axiom M3Ti. From all that I've read, it really betrays its price-point.

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Along with PSB Alphas and the M3Ti, you might also add the PSB Alpha Mini and Paradigm Atom. The Mission M71 is also very highly regarded by reviewers in both its native UK and on these shores.

5. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I'd second the M3Ti; you can get it cheaper via Axiom Audio's factory outlet (blems are supposedly very hard to find), or via Marc H. at the Audioshop in Canada.

6. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

I cannot name a speaker that can beat the m3ti from 80hz and up for less than $200. Htd III speakers or paradigm titan will beat them in bass output and you might prefer the mission if you enjoy a laid back warm sound.

btw i had a pair of mission 701 and thought they were defective because they sounded muffled as if a blanket was covering the speakers. I later discovered that mission speakers like most british speakers roll of the highs to give a warm sound which some people prefer. I am an m22ti owner so I may be a bit biased but I have done alot of research and some auditioning before deciding on the axiom speakers.

7. joekilty

joekilty Auditioning

You may also consider the Sound Dynamics RTS3
    "It's disgusting how good this little speaker is." -Harry Pearson, The Absolute Sound.
    "This is the best small speaker I have ever heard." -The Sensible Sound
    Look at www.audeoadvisor.com
    Good luck
    Joe schmidt

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I third (?) the Axiom M3!

9. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I second the Paradigm Titans.

10. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I recommend adding to your audition list, the JBL Studio Series S-26 2-Way 6" Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) http://store.yahoo.com/consumer-direct/jbls26be.html
    The JBL S26 speaker incorporates technologies and design innovations used in JBL recording studio monitors (specifically the JBL LSR25P). It has the same 1" Pure titanium dome with EOS™ waveguide High-Frequency Driver as the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Awards winners, JBL S38 & JBL S412P. The prized component in these JBLs is the titanium tweeter, which could create a very clean, precise sound. Cymbals, trumpets, saxophones and violins were reproduced accurately without any hint of colouration. Notes started and stopped without hesitation; JBL has made one of the best-sounding tweeters around.
    Phil

11. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

My vote would either have to go to the Axiom B stocks, Paradigm Titan, or the nOrh 3.0 or Prism 3.0. I used to own a pair of the 3.0s and they sound fantastic! Sold 'em though to upgrade to a pair of wood 5.1s. [​IMG] The only drawback to the 3.0 is that it doesn't go very deep (75Hz) but it also doesn't try and reproduce sound beyond it's range.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Under $200, I'd have to give the nod to the Titans also (third [​IMG] ). I have these in my bedroom for stereo music with a low/mid fi receiver, no sub, and I am quite happy with them. Diana Krall, Joyce Cooling, Rippingtons, Boney James, Rick Braun all sound great!

13. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff

14. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Here's another vote for the Titans. Best speakers I have ever heard in the sub $200 category. I paid $200 exactly for mine after auditioning several others. I haven't heard the Axiom's, however.

15. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

The titans sound great, but remember they are rear ported so you need to have them a bit off the wall. But they sound great for the money.

JEff

16. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

A pair of Polk RT25i's can be had for $200 and I'm sure for less if you look.
    Their great speakers for the $, and even have real wood veneer on them [​IMG]
    Brian

17. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    yep, Titans like to be set away from the wall. I keep mine about 12-14" away, and they do very well like that.

18. Steve-sas

Steve-sas Agent

I too like the Polk rt25i. Here is a review rt25i

19. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Alex,
    I had the drum version of the 3.0. Both use the same driver but the drum will require a little (3 - 4") behind the rear port. The Prism does not need it. However, it is $50 more than the drum version. But, for $150 delivered for the drum version, it was simply fantastic and I couldn't imagine anyone being able to beat it. It only is lacking in bass and that is something you are told up front with the specifications. Will be trying out the Swan M200 (computer speakers) for $199+ shipping ($29 - UPS ground) and will be able to compare them to the 3.0/4.0/5.1, especially as the sound between the 3.0 and 4.0 is very similar.

20. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

polk rt25i[​IMG]