Recommend RPTV under $2K.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MichaelDDD, Nov 1, 2003.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Hi all. I've decided; my next TV will be an RPTV.

The budget is $2K, $USD. I know comparatively little about RPTVs; I know Toshiba/Hitachi/Mitsubishi make very good ones...that's about it. Aside from what inputs a set has and buzzwords like 3D Digital Comb Filter, most of the important facts escape me. :b

I've seen the Toshiba 57H83 mentioned a few times around here...it seems to be a popular set. Don't know much else though

Looking for quality over quantity. I.E. will take a "stunning picture/highly adjustable" 51" set over a "it's just got a big freakin' picture!" 65" set.

All I need are two sets of high-bandwith (progressive scan/DHTV capable) inputs. No built-in HDTV tuner necessary.

If it helps, I watch roughly a 50%-50% mix of DVD movies and things like Discovery/History channel. [​IMG]

Thank you very much.

2. MichaelDDD

Mike
    ? [​IMG]

Theeze to-pic....it is a bomb, yes?

Nobody?

3. Mike Baldwin

Mike Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

Well I just received my 51H83 Tosh this week and love it so far. Tosh is a very pop brand on the board. I like sony alot too, but IMO they are priced just a little high. Did you know for roughly 2500 you could get a Plasma screen. You should maybe consider that. I am about 65% DVD's and the rest regular Cable. Good pq, good price, good TV.

Mike

4. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Thanks, Mike. [​IMG] I dunno about Plasma...still a new technology, relatively speaking.

Also, $2K really is the ceiling for me...I think for $2K, I could get a really nice RPTV as opposed to an entry level Plasma for the same $$$.

I have read lots of good things about Toshiba RPTVs; I currently own an older 32" Sony Trinitron. Great TV, but no Component inputs and the screen isn't flat, nor big enough. [​IMG] I've read that Sony RPTVs don't get "good" until you get into the big-buck XBR series...out of my price range. I will admit that Sony TVs are priced higher than their counterparts...you pay for the name and Sony quality. My Sony CRT is still flawless after 8 years.

Just wondering what else to look at besides the Toshiba?

5. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I saw a decent plasma TV (price) from a company called Tatung. I have never heard of them so it made me question it right away. Can anyone comment on those TVs?

6. Brett Sw

Brett Sw Agent

Michael...I ordered a 51h83 from a local B&M store early last week and thought I got a pretty good deal on it. Logged into Onecall.com Friday night (I know this is the wrong forum) and got a price of $1312.94 with a FREE Toshiba SDV391 DVD/VCR combo. Granted you have to pay shipping, but you can use the extra cash to buy a 6.1 receiver or something like that...!!!

Needless to say I cancelled my order from the B&M and went with the latter. If you need it they offer other payment arrangements. What's the best TV for under $2K? That's something that can be debated long enough for the new models to come out next year....The best TV or any other HTS gear is found in the cost/benefit. At least it is for me... [​IMG]

7. John S

John S Producer

I know what you mean about pricing and what is good...

I went back to Best Buy to purchase my HDTV on what I thought was a great deal. They had sold out, in the entire region.

That ended up being totally lucky, I got online and saved $500 off the to my door price. But I have waited 3 weeks and 3 days so far, I am supposed to have it tomorrow afternoon.

8. Brett Sw

Brett Sw Agent

They went as far as to show me in writing their price matching policy and internet price matching policy. They would match any "online price of a local store". That's fine, but my town only has 35K people in it!!! If the competition had a "local store", why the h*** would I be shopping and ordering online. It's kind of hard to 'kick the tires through the computer monitor. Jefferson City is not big enough to have much local competition other than a couple independent A/V stores and an overabunance of pawn shops.

I guess if their pricing model doesn't allow them to compete then so be it, but I'd sell their stock...If I had any...

However...I'm damn near ecstatic with the quality RPTV I got for the price and only hope the wife remembers to feed the dog and comes downstairs to visit from time to time.

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Go to SEARS. They will DESTROY everyone else's prices. I am getting a Mitsubishi WS-55513 there for $1934 with free shipping. (Note that you have to go into the store -- their online price for that set is $2800!) I couldn't say whether that's only because there is a lot of local competition, but it's worth a shot.

Do a little price shopping -- you probably won't find anything even close to that deal.

Incidentally, my viewing habits are almost the same as yours, with the addition of sports.