Recommend older receiver for SV subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Yee, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm bouncing around the idea of getting an SV subwoofer and would like some suggestions for a receiver to power a CS series sub. I'm thinking something used, maybe 10 years old or so, easily acquired on EBay, that sort of thing. If you think I should just spring for the PCi series, feel free to let me know.

2. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I found a great 15 year old, 250w/side Yamaha amp for my SVS. I talked the pawn shop guy down to $210 U.S. from $250. I wouldn't limit yourself to receivers only. You should be able to find a used amp at E-bay or Audiogon that will work great.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you can spring for the PCi, I would go for that. Nice and clean, more features, simple.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm starting to think simpler is better too. Based on what I've been able to find, for there to be a genuine "savings" with the CS route I'd have to spend no more than 80.00 on a receiver or amp. Such things are available but they range from being old to questionable in quality. If I'm going to go for a SV Subwoofer why try to go cheap, right? I'd probably stick with the CS series if I had another receiver sitting around, but I don't.