What's new

Recommend me TOWER speakers for a SMALL room, and Harman Kardon @ 40W X 5. (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I know I need a relatively high sensitivity (90db and up).
Anyone have tower speakers in a small room (12' x 12'), and how do they like it?
Need to get some brands that are not only good, but function well in a small room.
Would like to only spend $500-600 or so.
60% DVDs, 40% Music.
Thanks,
ELmO

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I would check out some Klipsch speakers. They are known for there high sensitivity rating. You can find some used ones for decent prices. What state do you live in?

Good luck,

Brandon

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Also, Acoustic Research. I'll throw out some model numbers, but many more exist: AR 310HO, 312HO; Klipsch KSF8.5 or 10.5, KLF10, KLF20.
For used speakers (already suggested), you might be able to find a local deal on this site:
Link Removed

John Royster

Screenwriter
What is your goal? 12x12 will be pretty loud no matter what. You're spot on with wanting good efficiency, but do you really need it? Do you want a loud speaker - one that cranks or do you want something more musical.
For the money Klipsch will flat knock the walls down. I don't like the horn tweeter but that is just me. A set of Klipsch in that small of a room might just make your ears bleed. :)
As always I'll recommend listening to many different manufacturers/models and pick the ones you like. It all boils down to "what do YOU want from a speaker?"

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I have the PSB Image 5Ts, which are pretty darn good for video and audio too. Around $540 from YAWA.

KevinGS

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Axiom line up, they are very efficient and highly regarded in reviews.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
This guy is giving me the JBL S312s [audioreview.com has this rated very highly (4.89/5.00, 56 reviews)] and a BIC DV62CLR S center (4.83/5.00, 40 reviews) for a total of $575 shipped. The JBL S312s (pair) he will sell to me shipped for $425, and the center is $150 shipped - both are new.

Should I look at paradigm towers, or go with the JBL and BIC center for now? I'm upgrading rears/sub after the front/center.

Thanks,

ELmO

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Depends on what you listen to. I'd be tempted to go with the JBLs if you are a hard rocker. If you listen to jazz and/or classical at all though, I would go with Paradigms, but I'm biased. I would see if you can a timbre matched JBL center channel though. That seems like a pretty good price though.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
What ever you do DO NOT go with a mismatched Main/Center

Combo.

Go with Identicle L/C/R when and if you can or at the very

least go with Timbre Matched L/C/R's.

If I was going to spend $575.00 I would check out the AR HC6

System (4 Satelites, Center and a Powered Sub) or the JBL NSP1 Package.

If you wanted to spend more I would go with AR9 Mains and

either an AR2C Center or AR4C Center and AR17 Bookshelfs for

Surrounds.. That's a lot more money but also a lot more speaker...

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I need to have a lot of opinions and then I listen to the speakers before I buy. Since I don't have a well trained ear, I have to narrow the speakers down before I go listen to them (IF I EVEN CAN, there aren't stores that close).

Again I'm not looking for a 5.1 package, I'd rather upgrade slowly. I'm not looking for satellites either, or else I'd get the energy take 5.2 package. I've put JBL S312 and Paradigm monitors on my list. I've also been told to look at PSB, and if I could AXIOMs - they are all highly rated.

I really don't know how much more speaker I'd be getting within the $430 price range for a pair of fronts considering reviews I've read of JBL S312 and ARs.

-ELmO

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
If you read the reviews of the AR9's you would see they are

higher rated than JBL... So I beleive they should be on your

list to audition if you can.

As far as AR is concerned you have many choices in towers

some with subs and some without.

Some AR Towers to look into would be the AR11's AR9's the

stature S40 and S50 and the 318HO. The HO might be hard to

audition because the High Output series was replaced by the

Hi Res series.

At any rate listen to as many as you can and let your ears

and eyes make the call. Good luck with your decision and let

us know how you made out.

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
If you end up getting the JBL S312's, you should get the S center from JBL, not another brand. As others have said, matched drivers from same manufacturer is best, and the S center is only about $35 more than the BIC you are looking at.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
OK Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to listen to some Paradigm's today at a local store, I hope they have a few versions in stock. I've heard that the monitors 'are not for a small room' and aren't amiable to long listening periods, so I will have to check that out.

What differences do you guys see in paradigm monitor 7s vs 9s?

-ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks