What's new

Recommend me some good Horror flicks please. (1 Viewer)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The Blob (1988)
Halloween 3
My Bloody Valentine
Night of the Creeps
Poltergeist
Tourist Trap

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
funny horror movies?

Fright Night
House
Toxic Avenger (not really horror)
Re-animator (not really funny)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Michael,
Ive seen Cannibal Holocaust before and it disturbed me. Dont know if I want to see the others.

Matt,
I actually got to meet Carpenter once. Nice guy. The Thing and The Fog are two of my other favs othe than Halloween. Hated Prince of Darkness though.

Scott and everyone else:
Nice lists! Some of the ones mentioned I own or have seen or have planned on seeing.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Matt Butler wrote (post #1):

Two words: Mario Bava
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:81044~C. His stuff is usually creepy and fun, and often has incredible imagery, as well:

Black Sunday ( La Maschera del Demonio) (1960)
Black Sabbath (Tre Volti della Paura) (1964)
Planet of the Vampires (Terrore Nello Spazio) (1965)
Baron Blood (Gli Orrori Del Castello Di Norimberga) (1972)
Lisa and the Devil (Lisa e il Diavolo) (1972)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
The Prince of Darkness..

Granted I watched it when I was 13.. But I haven't worked up the nerve to watch it again since.. Going on 20 years.. :)

I on the other hand hated the Fog.. Could it be the Prince of Darkness was as corny??

I guess I'll never know.. lol

Event Horizon was also very good..

Witchboard.. Fright Night.. Excorcist.. Night of the Living Dead.. The Omen..

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The 1978 Philip Kaufman remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is a perfect paranoid depiction of post modern fear of intimacy and the slow death of individuality in an increasingly cold industrial/corporate world...it's also one damn good sci-fi horror film with a great cast and a fantastic atmospheric score.

TedT

Second Unit
Undead was pretty cool. I got it on R2. Thought it was pretty original and I liked their take on the zombie genre.

Shawn Of The Dead is supposed to be excellent, gory, fun. I'll be getting it next month on R2 too. (love that region-free player!).

AdrianV

Agent

Didn't see that version, but the original was great.

Also, Homicidal is a pretty decent flick. It's a shameless Psycho ripoff, but I personally liked it a lot.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Body Snatchers (1993)
Creepshow
The Exorcist
House On Haunted Hill (1999)
The Funhouse
Final Destination
Poltergeist
A Nightmare on Elm Stree 1-5
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
Wes Craven't New Nightmare
The Shining (Kubrick)
When A Stranger Calls
When A Stranger Calls Back
28 Days Later
Alien
Aliens
American Psycho
American Psycho II (the girl reminds me of Angela from sleepaway camp 2 and 3...)
Black Christmas
The Blair Witch Project (psychological horror that really works if you watch it correctly)
Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (interesting movie, with a few good moments)
Carrie
Cherry Falls
Children Of The Corn ("Interloper!")
Child's Play (great thriller)
Child's Play 2/3 (fun corny slasher flicks)
Bride of Chucky (downright hilarious, can't wait for Seed)
Critters
Cube
The Faculty
Fear
The Fog
Friday the 13th (the whole series is kind of fun)
Fright Night
The Frighteners
From Dusk Till Dawn
The Gift
Halloween (the whole series is good I think, but the original is just amazing, kudos to H20 for at least attempting to have the same style... the score was so bad though...)
The Hills Have Eyes
I know what you did last summer
Jaws
Joy Ride
Jurassic Park
Last House on the left
May
Misery
Night of the living dead (1968)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
My bloody valentine
the people under the stairs
Popcorn
Psycho (just the original)
Prom Night
the silence of the lambs
red dragon
The return of the living dead
Rosemary's baby
Scream
Scream 2
Silent night, Deadly Night
Slumber party massacre
sorority house massacre
The Stepfather
Stir Of Echoes
Stepford Wives (the original)
The Terminator (had a lot more horror elements than the sequels I thought)
Urban Legend

That's all I can think of for now...

DavidAG

Auditioning
Haute Tension...best horror/slasher film for years but get the Korean version as it's the only one with English subs at the moment.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Kevin, I've been asking Paramount for this movie for several years now. its a nifty little chiller, and would make for an interesting triple bill with Persona and Robert Altmans Images.
there is an Asian dvd on ebay, but i'm not inspired with a lot of confidence in it- but i'm still tempted because even if it does make it to Parmaounts schedule, it will most likely be next August at the earliest.
i don't know how much longer i can wait- i haven't seen it in over decade.

i also agree about the Phillip Kaufman version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. i like the original quite a bit and the remake just as much if not more.
in fact, they enhance each other very well.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As far as preferring the 78 version of Body Snatchers, personally I can relate to "city/modern living killing empathy" more so then fear of communism.:)

Edit: Not that I dislike the original, I do like it, I just prefer the remake.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
As we are about to be inundated with horror flicks, I thought I'd bump this ancient thread so we can swap movie ideas. Not necessarily anything YOU are going to watch for the challenge, but something that you think someone else might enjoy. Let loose all your overlooked gems and favorite monster flicks!

Me, I'll start things off with two that should be in everyone's rotation:

Trick r Treat -

It's a very clever anthology, what the Halloween series would have become if Season of the WItch didnt flop at the box office. Very highly recommended

The WNUF Halloween Special -

Its a found footage movie - now, wait, don't tune me out - that's really well done and not nausea inducing at all. The premise is was a lost television special from the eighties that sat on a shelf for decades. The filmmakers, even took the final product, dubbed it to video tape, dubbed it again and then mastered the video from that just for the authentic VHS look. Its really a clever flick that runs just long enough not to wear out it's welcome.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Kevin M said:
Here's a film that I wish was out on dvd but isn't, Let's Scare Jessica To Death (1971), very underrated (or at least semi-forgotten) good creepy film.

The Legend Of Hell House (1973) is wonderfully creepy if not a flat out "scary" thriller, very atmospheric.
I have always loved HELL HOUSE, but I also find the Kaufman BODY SNATCHERS remake to be a terrific exercise in paranoia and horror. Also the first 20 minutes of EXORCIST 3 work like gangbusters on me.

EDIT ADDON: sorry , didn't see your comment about BODY SNATCHERS till after I posted.

Kind of odd, given my first name is Kevin and my last name starts with an M, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks