Recommend me an SV subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Neil Joseph, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My room is 11' wide by 15' deep by 12' high. It opens up into some other space in the house so it is not enclosed on all sides...

http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1/layout/layout.jpg

Based on your expertise on various svs subs, which "one" would you recommend for my room?

2. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

You would probably be perfectly fine with something like a PCi 20-39...but if you want more power, PC+ it. Anything over those models are just going to give you extra headroom...but you won't "need" anything more.

The PC+ 20-39 would easily fill that room I believe...so there's a starting point.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Listening volumes? Budget?

I'd say a 20-39 PC+ without that info. Fair cost, tuneability and enough power for the space.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If I had a room that size, I'd spring for the PC+ Ultra just to quell any thoughts of upgrading [​IMG]

To be honest I'd email SVS with your room dimensions, that pic, how loud you listen to stuff and see where they suggest. You might be suprised that they might sell you on the one below what you expected.

If you want a box, then the PB2ISD is pretty good as well.
    It depends on how much you can afford to spend.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I agree with Shane, ... facing the same question (MAR. 2002), I emailed the following INFO to Tom @ SVS and requested his suggestions:

1) Leaning towards the SVS 25-31PCi due to budget, ...

2) HT priority - don't listen to Organ Music, mostly Jazz Music CD's - Dave Grusin, Joe Sample, David Benoit, Diana Krall, etc. ...

3) HT room is approx. 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling for 20' feet.
    .... a) The main 20' x 20' HT area is solid cement with an oak squares overlay floor, leveled and extending into the rest of the kitchen.

4) Sub location - front right corner behind my 6' Yamaha Grand.

5) Question: Default or 22 Hz tuning?

Tom email recommended the SVS 25-31PCi - default tuning. He noted that my corner placement would increase the useable lower frequency to about 22 Hz without losing the 3-4 dB headroom between 25 Hz to 35 Hz.

I'm glad I took his recommendation - my SVS literally rocks!!! For example, the added sub-sonic pant-leg moving air impact made all my family & friends imagine how terrifying the dino's were in Jurassic Park DTS version when they made their appearance! Yep, even though most have seen this movie before, ... they were a very jumpy crowd after the "T-Rex" scenes! [​IMG] Some got up and stood in the kitchen during the power-up scene in the power bunker! (think ... Raptor)

FYI: My AVG. Fast Peak LFE SPL @ -10 dB below REF Level = 105 / 106* dB (Volume Cntrl Display = -30dB)

My AVG Fast Peak LFE SPL @ -5 dB below REF Level = 110* dB (Volume Cntrl Display = -25 dB)

*Readings @ my 'sweet spot' (RS Meter Dial either 100 or 110 dB respectively / Weight = C / Speed = FAST)

Phil

EDIT: Fixed links.

6. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Neil,

I would suggest getting something a little more powerful than what you can get away with in your room. The reason? Look at the four disks in your signature -- they're all subwoofer killers.

-Robb

7. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

If you could answer a few questions, maybe we can pin it down even better:

- Where will the sub be placed in the room.

- How far from the sub are the key listening positions.

- How many permanent openings are in the room, and where will the sub be located in relation to them.

- What type of DVDs and music to you like and what is the listening percentage for each.

- When calibrating for HT applications, how "hot" do you run your sub, compared to your speaker channels?

- What is your typical master volume setting with respect to Reference Level (like -5RL, -10RL, -15RL) when watching DVDs.

Regards,

Ed

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Q - Where will the sub be placed in the room.
    A - It will be placed at the front near but not at the left corner.

Q - How far from the sub are the key listening positions.
    A - Main listening position is 12 ft way from the sub location.

Q - How many permanent openings are in the room, and where will the sub be located in relation to them.
    A - The room is opened on the left side up the stairs and down the stairs also and at the back where the upper and lower railings are...
    [​IMG]

Q - What type of DVDs and music to you like and what is the listening percentage for each.
    A - You can see my prererence for DVD's in my signature. I also like adventure, fantsay and sci-fi. My music is very varied... R&B, Jazz, Latin and world music.

Q - When calibrating for HT applications, how "hot" do you run your sub, compared to your speaker channels?
    A - I usually run +3dB hot at 78dB.

9. Edward J M

Could you post your thoughts on overall playback volume, as compared to Dolby Reference Level?

I also forgot to ask you about budget, and your personal preference for box vs. cylinder.

But lets' see:

1) A 2000 ft3 moderately "lossy" room.

2) 12 feet from a corner loaded sub.

3) 78 dB calibration (might really be 5 dB hot with the RS correction factor).

4) Action oriented DVDs.

5) No 16 Hz pipe organ music listed.

6) Assume -10RL Master Volume setting as a moderately loud playback level for DVDs.

7) Assume $800-$1,200 budget based on your equipment level as listed in the Holodeck.

My recommendations (with the two assumptions above) would be along these lines:

1) 20-39PC+
    2) PB2-ISD
    3) PC-Ultra
    4) PB1+
    5) PB2+

Clearly, the overall playback volume and your personal taste in cylinder vs. box, and black vs. wood finish will strongly influence your purchase decision. I'm definitely updating my list of standard questions to include these things. :b

Regards,

Ed

10. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

this is an EXCITING time for you! take your time and read up.... i cant personally recommend any of the SVS subs as I havent received my 22-31PCi sub yet! It arrives tomorrow! [​IMG]

11. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Guys, look at his room

[​IMG]

I don't think a cylinder SVS is going to work for him b/c it'll block the screen.

I'd go PB2-ISD or PB1+

JKS

12. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

no one mentioned the 25-31PC+... im sure 31" is below the clearance for the screen.. and im sure it can fill the room easily.

13. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

You sure about this??

Neil, what's the clearance below the screen?

JKS

14. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

we need more specs me thinks... [​IMG]

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG]

I would corner the sub if needed which would place it between the cd rack and the left speaker, I have the space. My preference is for a cylinder. The 20-39PC+ is 39" tall I assume? Is that the total height including legs/spikes?

16. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

How about putting it in that corner where the words "ceiling mounted 3 speakers" is?

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That is an option too because luck for me, I thought ahead and prewired a connection to the right rear corner of the room for a second subwoofer. [​IMG]

Here is a pic of that location and also showing the opening at the rear of the room...

http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1/htpics/room2.jpg

18. Edward J M

No, it's a bit taller than that. Around 41", IIRC.

Now that we know you prefer a cylinder, I think the 20-39 series in the best combination of extension and output in a room that size.

If you were in a much larger room, I might lean toward the 25-31 series for the additional output in the more common bass ranges and reistance to bottoming at extreme levels.

If you are on a tight budget, the 20-39PCi will certainly get the job done, but you can't push it to Reference Level with the sub running 3-5 dB hot.

Overall, I still like the Plus series as the best performance value in the SVS line-up. The 20-39PC+ is your kid, IMO.

19. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

The PC+ 20-39 (which is the same as the PCi) is 40 1/4" high.

After reading everything and getting all your info, I agree with Ed, PC+ 20-39 is your sub.

You'll be amazed at what it can do, and corner loading it, that's the best thing you can do for that sub! [​IMG]

20. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I thank you all for the input. Looks like that is my sub.