Recommend me an Athlon XP 1800+ cooling fan...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I took the plunge and bought a mobo / processor combo from www.mwave.com.
    I purchased the Soyo Dragon K7+ with the Athlong XP 1800+ processor. I know it will come with a cooling fan in tow but should I upgrade the fan immediately. I don't see any overclocking in my future so do I need a better fan? BTW, my aluminum case will have 6 cooling fans [​IMG]
    Of course, it should since it cost $235!!

2. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I use a Volcano 7 from Thermaltake for my XP1800+ and it works great. The only thing that concerns me is the heavy weight of the hsf and the fact that it only has a single tab clip. I've also heard good things about the Alpha PAL8045. But if you're not oc'ing then it may not be worth the money.

3. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

If you're not planning on overclocking, then the AMD fan will be fine.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

James,

I also use a Volcano 7 on mine and it works like a champ. Highly recommended.

5. Wes T

Wes T Stunt Coordinator

If you decide to go with the volcano 7 you need to know that it is not compatible with the FOC (fan off control) on the Dragon Plus. The 7 doesn't turn enough RPMs and will trigger a shutdown. You can bypass this in the bios and the instructions are in the book. I am using the Volcano 6+ on mine and it cools great but it is a little loud. Much info can be found on the common problems with the Dragon + at www.amdmb.com in the Soyo area. I have been extremely happy with my new PC using this board. You may want to fork out a little bit more money for a better CPU cooler if you can. Keeping it all cool is extremely important for good performance from your AMD and the high pitched hum from a cheap cooler does get tiresome after a while. Have fun!
    Wes T

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

7. Rob Varto

With any of these fans, do I need thermal paste or a shim or can I just clip it on the processor?

I read about that problem with the Dragon fan and the FOC on the Soyo board. Thanks for the link.

I've never felt comforable overclocking.. not that I wouldn't try it with the right directions. Can anyone recommend a link for this my setup?

8. Wes T

Wes T Stunt Coordinator

Yes, using thermal paste is a must. Arctic silver II is recommended. I just used what came with the cooler. You want to put a razor thin layer of paste on the die only (the small black square that is the processor in the center of the package) Some coolers like the volcano will just clamp on. Others will need to be bolted to the board. Also, if the cooler you buy has a thermal pad on it, then you should scrape that off and use paste. If you want to use the pad, then don't use paste. Paste is way better than the pad. Keeping the processor nice an cool is the key to a nice stable system. You should have at least 2 case fans too. One pulling air into the case down low on the front, and one exhausting air out the back up high. Even if you don't plan to overclock you will have a much more stable and longer lasting computer if it stays nice and cool. -Wes

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

10. Rob Varto

11. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I just got a new Pentium 4 1.6 GZ Dell, Do I need a fan.Iv never herd of this before.

12. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Eric, if your P4 came in a retail box, it will have a heatsink/fan included.

The Swiftec is a good heatsink, but the Alpha is much better, simply because it provides almost the same performance for half the price.

They both take 80mm fans, so if you want a quiet system, stick a Panaflo on there.

13. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

14. Rob Varto

15. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Please let us know what kind of temps you're getting. With an aluminum case, six fans and a Swiftech you should have no problems with heat.

16. Masood Ali

Camp, I never said the Alpha was a better performer, I specifically said it provided almost the same level of performance.

It's up to you how much you value a degree or two. Is a degree or two worth double the price, or a few extra megahertz?

If you don't mind paying for the extra degree in performance, look at some Swiftec Peltier setups, or heck, what about a Koolance water-cooling setup?

The Alpha still has a large lead in the price/performance category; since Rob bought a mid-end Athlon XP, I figured he was into price/performance ratios.

And Rob, I would seriously consider overclocking now that you've bought the Swiftec. Otherwise you might as well have stayed with a $5 heatsink.

17. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Masood,

Re-read your post. This phrase implies otherwise:

18. Masood Ali

19. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

They are both good HSF units, just one looks better and cost more. But I do have to agree with Camp on the fact that when you are trying to squeeze that few extra mhz out of proc, you want the HSF to make the proc the coldest it can be, even if only by 1 degree Celcius.

20. Rob Varto

Looking at the link I provided, can anyone tell me exactly what part I need to apply the thermal paste to? What tool do you use to ensure a "razor thin" layer? I don't know why, but I'm really nervous doing this.

As far as overclocking goes, I wouldn't even know where to begin... but I'd be willing to learn.