Recommend me an affordable progressive scan DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, I've been looking at several. Someone has the Samsung 931 player local for $225, but based on all the mixed reviews here, I'm not sure I want to go that route. Plus, I probably want something cheaper then that (*gasp*)

Exactly how good are the -cheapo- progressive scan players you can find everywhere? Are any of them actually worth a darn? I just picked up the Sony KP57WV700 set, so I want some good sources for video, but don't want to drop a bundle..

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The cheapo ones have terrible de-interlacers. I'd recommend going for a top-rated model with the Faroudja de-interlacer like the Panasonic XP30, Denon DVD-910, or Mitsubishi DD-8040.

3. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

However, for people that want to recommend a budget player, I always say that the Pio 563a is great. Half 'cause it has the ability to play DVD-A and SACD, which once somebody hears, they fall in love with. Other half is 'cause I owned a Sammy 231 and the pio owns it in picture quality. The pio is 150 at any best buy, wait and you'll see it on sale again. Keep in mind this is all just personal opinion and preference.
    Faroudja is really nice, but I know you're on a budget and I know exactly how that is. Also, keep in mind that the de-interlacer chip is only one part of the machine, if you decide to go the expensive route.
    Take it easy, and let us know what you got and how it looks.

4. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

Is there a list available of all the players that use the Faroudja chip? Based on what I've read, it seems like that's the primary element of a good progressive player.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The list of common new models with Faroudja are: Mitsubishi DD-8040 ($249), Denon DVD-910 ($299), and the Denon DVD-1200 ($399). Denon and Yamaha I believe also have some DVD changer models with Faroudja too. Popular discontinued models with Faroudja (but still a few left in some stores on used on EBAY) include the top-rated Panasonic XP30, XP50, RP82 and the Denon DVD-1600. The old Panasonic RP62 and RP56 were cheaper models with Faroudja but have some problems and a defective designed spindle motor that fails after 8months of use, so avoid those ones.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I'm looking right now at the Yamaha DVD-C920.. a local store has it for $240, and I'm thinking that may be a deal, but I haven't decided..

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I've spent a lot of time reading through threads here in this group, and I'm starting to wonder if Progressive is even worth while for me.. the set I have is the Sony HDTV KP57WV700. I wonder if the upscaler in it isn't better then 90% of the players I could get.. I had thought about the Samsung HD-931, but wow do I see some negative reviews on this forum and elsewhere on it.

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

Chris,
    The 920 is an excellent machine. I have demoed the RP82, Denon 1600, XP30 and other Faroudja machines in my home and the Yamaha is just as good picturewise IMO. That being said i currently use the pioneer 563 because it's a universal player and i think the PQ is just as good as any of the above Faroudja based players. It didn't hurt that i picked it up for $119 at BB open box. My local BB also has unopened new ones for $134 right now. You can't go wrong with this player for this price IMO.

Good Luck,
    Dalton