What's new

Recommend me a seven channel amp for my system please (1 Viewer)

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

My system is in my signature. I would like to get an amp that is rated AT LEAST the same as my reciever (130/ch @8 ohm). It sounds great right now, but this is something I have been thinking about for a little while now. I will bi-amp my mains and center using the DTR 8.2 to power the highs so it won't be stressed. The 7 ch. amp will run the mids in front and center and the 4 surrounds. I will have 3 powered subs by then (I have two now, thats a different thread...lol) I am not looking for insane power as I live in an apt. but for insane clarity with a nice punch. On a side note, I like the sound of my reciever now, I was thinking of the Integra DTA 9.4 (even though it is 120/ch. I guess I could let it slip through) or something along those lines. The integra is more neutral sounding than the regular onkyo lineup so I guess matching an amp to the sound I allready have should not be too hard.

A nice feature would be adjustable inputs on the amp, and of course it would need unbalanced connectors. Silver or black w/ silver accents are a plus, but I will certainly buy for performance over asthetics. In actuality, I will probably be buying this used as I won't have around 3g to spend, more like $1500.00 so buying a demo unit or from another audiophile is a definate possibility (and probability).

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--Ed

P.S. A 5ch and matching 2ch amp would be ok also. I just have been looking at the Parasound HALO amps, and boy they look nice. The A52 and A23 are at 125/ch. Are these way out of my range if I buy them used? Anyone know what they are new? What about the Parasound 1205A and 1000A?

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
I was warned not to mix different amps in a bi-amping configuration. Something to do with input sensitivity and other technical issues I cannot recall. You should probably do some research on that subject before you take the plunge.

I've read good reviews on the Antham 7 ch amp and the B&K 7 ch model. Haven't heard them myself.

Doro

Agent
I agree with Mike above, those two manu's have some formidible offerings. Rotel with some external, may also fit your bill. I would mentioned the SOny STR-DA7ES, but it looks like you are allready in the hi-end line Onkyo, so the SOny isn't going to offer you much.

You mentioned outboards as a possibility, doesnt Onkyo make some integrated? As long as you have preouts, which you do, you are set-up now for more power. That is Onkyo wise. Maybe you want to migrate to something more elite....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks