Recommend Me a Receiver Under $500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnE, Sep 30, 2003.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Can anyone recommend me a good reciever under the $500 mark? Or at least tell me what brands to stay away from.

Thanks.

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

What features do you need? Do you need componenet video inputs, preamp outputs? Things of that nature.

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

If you don't mind silver, the new Harman Kardon AVR 230 is now available for $379. It's got a full set of features.
    High Current Capability: +/- 35 Amps
    Stereo Mode: 65 Watts x2 @ 8 Ohms (20Hz - 20kHz,

4. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Lee, I'd like all the features I can get.[​IMG]

Greg, thanks. Since I dont mind silver that Harmon Kardon AVR 230 sounds like a pretty good deal. Just what I was hoping to find in fact.

5. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

have a look at the offerings from yamaha, onkyo, denon, pioneer and kenwood. I would not recommend the HK, they are prone to problems, even the people who sell them, including me (used to sell them) will tell you to stay away....they like cooking!

6. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Well, I'll tel you how I broke it down. When I was receiver shopping this summer, I had to go $499 or less. I needed four things basically, 1.) A good quality piece in both sound and function. 2.) Two componenet video inputs. 3.) Four digital audio inputs. 4.) Preamp outputs for the future.

The only receiver to offer that and a lot more for under $500 was the Yamaha RX-V640. And I actually talked them down to $440. Sweet. [​IMG] Pioneer has a couple of models that have all of this stuff too, for $100 and $200 cheaper, but I had a Pioneer before this and the Yamaha sounds soooo much better. More power and just cleaner.

The other receivers I was looking into were Denon, Marantz, H/K, and Onkyo. I liked pretty much all of them very much, but to get all four things I needed, I was looking at $799 at the cheapest.

Now perhaps you can find some blow out specials right now, and if so, that is definately worth looking into.

7. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I vote Yamaha.

8. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I vote Harman/Kardon. Unless you go with the upper Yamaha's, past the RXV740 (I believe when you start going to 4 digits like 1400) you won't get very good power rating. Basically Yamaha will rate a unit at perhaps 100Watts on there lower-end but will end up really only being perhaps 40watts of real power.

The Harman/Kardon's I think are much better in terms of real power ratings which HK is usually underrated no matter what model. There components are very high quality and althought there older models were prone to problems, there x25 and x30 series seem to have them fixed.

Go with the HK you can afford, all of them are awesome!

9. Chris Reitano

Chris Reitano Auditioning

I say to only buy a reveiver that discrete amps; under $500=No Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, Kenwood, Sherwood, Panasonic, and I'm sure a few others. Denon/Onkyo, Harman Kardon, and Marantz are all sure fire units.

10. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

what do you mean by "discrete amps"?

11. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Discrete means separate amplification for all channels. Each channel has its own amp.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Discrete amps or no, they all share the same power supply regardless. At the $400 price point you should have some pretty good choices from H/K, Marantz, Denon and Onkyo.

13. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Hey, thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to work this, so keep any advice you have coming my way.[​IMG]

14. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

How can you not have discrete amps?

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Cheap receivers may "share" an amp for multiple channels (ie; both surrounds) to reduce cost, though this also reduces the total output with all channels driven. These are typically the type receivers you see rated at 1Khz instead of 20-20K all channels driven.

16. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

17. DylanTS

DylanTS Auditioning

What about the Outlaw model 1050? Wouldn't you also want to consider a receiver that offers the ability to act as a preamp-processor and use seperates -- just in case you wanted to upgrade at some time in the future?

I am also in a similar situation as you, John, but would like to upgrade to seperates in the future. I was thinking about using Outlaw equipment, and thought I could use the 1050 until I could afford a 7100 (or even a 770 [​IMG]).

But I don't know much about the 1050 so I may be off here... anyone know?

18. Chris Reitano

Chris Reitano Auditioning

Yes, most receivers only have one power supply, discrete or not. The greatest difference between them are that the discrete receivers power supply will always be much larger than the ones without. Anyone who has ever owned a stand alone amplifier from a quality line will agree that the sound that is produced from having a much larger power supply greatly increases sound quality, headroom, balls, etc.

19. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

20. DylanTS

DylanTS Auditioning

Do you really see a difference in Dolby Pro Logic vs. Dolby Pro Logic II? The 1050 has DPL and the 950 has DPLII (as far as I can tell), but there is a 300 dollar difference in price between the two too. I'm sure the 950 is a better peice of equipment than the 1050, but is it 300 dollars better? Especially if you factor in the cost of having to buy an amplifier if you bought the 950?