Recommend me a good RPG like KOTOR

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kami, May 23, 2004.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I'm looking for a good RPG to play. I've beaten KOTOR 4 times now and love it, but I think I've experienced everything there is to experience in that game.

It has to be on PC or XBox.

Open to any and all suggestions!

p.s. I got about 1/3 the way through neverwinter nights but it really wasn't my thing.

2. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

Wait for KOTOR 2?

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Kami I would highly recommend you take a gander at some older Computer RPG's by Bioware and Black Isle. A small list:

Baldurs Gate
    Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)
    Baldurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (Expansion to BGII)
    Icewind Dale
    Icewind Dale Hearts of Winter (Expansion to Icewind Dale)
    Icewind Dae II
    Planescape Torment (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)
    Fallout
    Fallout 2

Baldurs Gate was the RPG that put Bioware on the map. Its a bit dated graphically but it still has it where it counts. Baldurs Gate II was the phenominal followup and its worth every penny you pay for it. You get an updated graphics engine (supports higher resolution, better effects) and a more even paced game. The battle system for both games are variants of what you are accustomed to in KOTOR/Neverwinter Nights (ie Hybrid turn based/real time with pause option to issue commands) so you should easily be able to get right into it. Though keep in mind this is an even more party based game than even KOTOR as you can choose party members as you meet them (up to six if memory serves and the lack of such is exactly why I didn't care for NWN). The characters in this game put those in KOTOR to shame and thats saying alot my friend. You'll smile when you first meet Minsc and Boo[​IMG].

You will also get a sense of familiarity in the dialogue options and the freedom in what type of character you want to play (admittedly less than KOTOR however). Both games feature a FANTASTIC story but if you want to skip to the superior and far more balanced sequel you can go right ahead. BGII does a marvelous job of covering the events of the first Baldurs Gate and you won't feel a bit lost. Go for the expansion pack to see how it all ends! (with one of the most satisfying ending you'll see in a game!). I cannot recommend BGII enough. Still one of the most amazing CRPG's ever released. With BGII and its expansion you're talking over 200 hours of gameplay if you take your time.

Icewind Dale was made by the now defunt Black Isle Studios. It uses the same graphics engine as BG but the game is quite a bit more action focused. Going more for a dungeon crawl feel, Icewind Dale is far less about dialogue and far more about working your way through some serious shit. Lots of dungeons, lots of action and the ability to create your party from scratch (unlike BG where you can only create the main character and you acquire party members as you go). The combat engine here is identical to that of Baldurs Gate so again any KOTOR verteran will fit right in.

The expansion added support for high resolution and a whole new adventure spanning even more of the Dale. There is also a free downloadable expansion which will take you into a hanted castle that has more booby traps then you can skake a stick at. You can get it at Interplays official Icewind Dale website.

One thing to keep in mind is that Icewind Dale features quite possibly one of the greatest soundtracks ever committed to a game. If you end up buying, keep your ears open because composer Jeremy Soule will have you wrapped around his finger the whole time.[​IMG] There is a nice package which includes the original ID,its expansion and the soundtrack for about 19.99. WELL worth the money.

Icewind Dale II is much more of the same as ID. Same action focus, same type of party dynamic, same combat engine but now with improvements. You get to see the continuation of the story from ID with a new main baddie and some really nice interface changes to the infinity engine (the engine that powers all of these games). Graphics are again dated by todays stanndard but if you enjoyed the first you'll no doubt love the second (Inon Zuhr does a commendable job following up Soule in the soundtrack department too!).

Finally we come to the real gem among these games and thats Planescape Torment. If you are a fan of good story telling you owe it to yourself to play this game. This is not a game as much as an interactive book with action elements. I will not sugar coat the fact that you will do ALOT of reading in Planescape. There are dialogue options here that will keep you glued to your screen for 30-40 minutes at a time doing nothing but reading. However I must reiterate that if you are someone that appreciates detail, a well told and ridiculously fascinating story you will ADORE this game.

The combat engine is again almost identical to that of BG and ID with some interface changes and a few distinct options. You can only create your main character here but if you want the level of freedom that KOTOR offers you, than this is the game to get. You can play this however you want. Be cruel, be good, be a tyrant. Do what you wish. Even more impressive is that you can dictate by action what class you end up being. This one gets an even bigger recommendation from me than BGII. Find it and buy it if you meet the requirements set above (ie you want to be engrossed with alot of story and a little less action etc.).

I'm not going to even bother commenting on Fallout and Fallout 2. These are prerequisites and if you are an RPG fan and don't own them your RPG gamer card should be revoked. Keep in mind these games are from 98-99 respectively and graphically they are even more dated than those I listed above. In this case, its not difficult to see past that[​IMG]. Pure turn based combat, KILLER setting and more freedom than you'll know what to do with. Find the double pack that includes both games, You'll be happy you did.

The greatest part about this Kami is that all of these games are budget priced. You can get all of these titles for less than 60 bucks and you will have access to world of gaming pleasure and some of the best RPG's EVER made. I hope this helps and enjoy!

I'd also recommend Morrowind to you but thats a love it or leave it affair[​IMG]. You may want to give it a rent and see if its your kind of game. The most open ended RPG out there but again, to some people that can be very daunting which is why this one is very polarizing. I personally loved every single bit of the 200+ hours I poured into the game.

4. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Thanks for the thoughful post, Romier. Then again, I didn't expect anything less from you.

You got me very excited about BG2 and Planescape Torment.

I'm also intrigued by Morrowind simply because I have heard such polar opposite opinions on it (like you said). Seems to be love or hate.

What I loved about KOTOR is that every time I played it (3 times evil, 1 time good) there were new experiences. I was so evil in the last time I played it I actually got Force Choke options in conversation!! And believe it or not the last time I played it was the first time I got my custom Darth Revan robe, and I thought I had covered everything.

What I hated about KOTOR was the length, you could easily beat the game in about 30-35 hours and cover nearly everything. I got so sad every time I beat it cause I wanted to keep playing in that world.

At any rate I am going to take a trip to EB sometime this week and see what I can find.

200 hours in morrowind eh? Wow! Would you recommend it for Xbox or PC? I have a Radeon 9800 pro but I have only played KOTOR on my xbox.

thanks again!

And ShelbyB, I had no idead they were making a KOTOR2??!! I thought Bioware was concentrating on Jade Empire? Pleeeaaase don't tell me someone else other than Bioware is making KOTOR2!!

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

It's not Bioware making KOTOR. I can't remember the name of the company, but they made RPGS before, so I don't think anyone is too worried.

I really loved Morrowind, but I never finsihed it. I've played it twice on the PC and once on the Xbox. Graphically, the difference is that the Xbox has the view distance level at the minimum. So, since you have a good enough vid card, PC will do fine.

Morrowind is really open ended. One time, I hired a bodyguard to protect me. I used him to help kill a guy I knew was loaded with armor, gold and weapons. Afterwards, I killed my bodyguard and looted his body. It wasn't even a mission, I just felt like being really evil. I also killed everyone in a village, and claimed one of the homes as my safehold...polulation: 1. The game is basically what you wanted to do in KOTOR, but were restricted from doing.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

PC all the way with that vid card. You get access to all of the patches that correct some bugs on the Xbox version as well as the journal sorting feature that is so very helpful (and not available on the Xbox version).

7. James T

James T Screenwriter

Silly me, I actually meant KOTOR 2 was being developed by a group other than Bioware.

8. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Cool, so it KOTOR2 going to be on XBox again? Using the same engine maybe? What info is out there so far?

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Kami,

If you already have Neverwinter Nights I suggest you try out some of the user created modules. The campaign included in the boxed version of the game has many weaknesses, but the Toolkit included with the game is possibly the greatest modding tool ever released, and the (very active) fan community has taken advantage of it to produce adventures that are far superior to the boxed campaign. I recommend you try "Witch's Wake" for an example of what can be done with that game engine.