Recommend me a good remote

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by tom_furman, Sep 17, 2003.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

I need a remote to work the following components:

Magnavox tv
    Sony vcr
    2 Sony receivers
    Sony cd changer
    Toshiba dvd player

The remote from my receiver (sony db850) is great. I love the backlit lcd screen and how easy it is to swtich compnents. But it doesnt have some features (MENU for my dvd player, VOLUME for my tv) so I am forced to keep 3 remots around.

Is there a good remote that is backlit, an will have even the obscure buttons that my remotes have?

the pronto TSU500 seems to be very nice and can be had for around $90 on e-bay.

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

I don't own a Kameleon, but it's probably not what you want. You can't add buttons to it's display, so you're stuck with whatever functions it has for a particular device. It would have "menu" and "volume" however.

Most people would probably agree that the Cadillac would be an Mx-500 in the ~$100 price range, depends on your budget.

Jim L
    [​IMG]

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Buttons or touchscreen? Most of us are one or another. (I highly prefer buttons. I intensely dislike touchscreens.) Once you've made that decision, then recommendations are easier.

The Prontos are the best buy in touscreens, IMO. Tons of users out there to help you get setup.

Sony makes a touchscreen model, the 3000 that's interesting but it's still not a Pronto. It's touchscreen labeling choices are very limited. One For All/Radio Shack has a couple of models of touchscreen, the Kameleon models. They do have a fan base of users but again, compared to the Prontos, they have a serious lack of properly labeled "buttons".

Home Theater Master MX series (MX-500, MX-600, MX-700 and MX-800) are the ones to own in button-based, also IMO. They allow you to use builtin codes or better yet, allow you to learn to them and set the remote up exactly how you want it (the MX-700 and 800 also come with a PC link and software for setup.) For buttons not already labeled, the MX models allow you to assign up to 5 characters per button on an LCD screen (the actual buttons are next to the LCD display.) Everything is clearly laid out.

There are several other good button-based remotes besides the HTM's. One For All/Radio Shack has several, as does Sony.

It would be worth your time to check out www.remotecentral.com Lots of info and several forums for interaction with other users.

Hope this quick reply helps!

5. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

i think i'd prefer buttons...with touchscreens i think id need 2 hands, and i often change cds while laying in bed, so thatd make it even tougher.

can the mx500 copy EVERY button/function my other remotes have?

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Yes, it should be able to learn every button on your other remotes, unless the remote has some really oddball frequency / protocol.

The MX500's only big defect is in generating codes for buttons not on your OEM remotes; many devices will accept commands to do something like jump straight to a particular input rather than cycling through inputs, even though those commands might not be on the OEM remote. For those you need something like a cheaper OneForAll remote to teach the code to the MX500, which is why you'll see at surfremote/bluedo the MX-500 also offered in a package with an OFA remote.

This is only really necessary if you have the desire to create bulletproof macros that work regardless of the current operation state of your equipment. There are often workarounds. You may not need or already have these "discrete codes" with your mix of components.

7. Eddie Ras

Eddie Ras Stunt Coordinator

i have the harmony 768 and love it - handles

RCA 38310 widescreen HD tv, with built in direct tv and ota hd broadcasts
    dual tuner direct tv tivo unit
    5 disk dvd
    5.1 home theatre (with denon receiver)
    vcr (like i ever use this thing!)

also= check out their new 659
    here's a forum with more info

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...rmony/list.cgi

web www.harmonyremote.com