Recommend me a dvd player (upgrade)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wallace Mason, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Wallace Mason

I'm currently using a Sony DVP-S360 connected to a 35" Trinitron using s-video. Are there any sub $300 players that you would recommend that would give a noticable improvement in playback quality? TIA.

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Are you having problems with your Sony? Or just have the upgrade bug? Any features you really want? I had a Sony 560 and upgraded it to the Panasonic RP-56. The Sony bit the dust and I wanted progressive scan. It was worth it! If you don't need progressive scan, you might want to check out the Panasonic RP-32. It's the same as the 56, only without progressive scan. I believe it runs around $150.

3. Wallace Mason

Thanks for the tip. The Sony I have works great but I just thought since I bought it a few years ago and it was a relativley cheap unit then, that there might be a better option out there. I'll give progressive scan a try. Thanks again.

4. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

I was in the same boat you were just last week, and chose the Marantz DV4200
    -No Chroma Bug
    -MP3 playback (and CDr CDrW)
    -Excellent CD playback (at least compaired to my TOshiba SD3006, heads and shoulders better)
    -Great picture, I always found the downconversion of the Sony units to be overly soft
    -Regeon Free at the press of a few buttons
    -Really classy looking [​IMG]
    Cane be found for $229
    here.

5. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Don't you need an HDTV to notice the difference from a progressive scan DVD player? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Yup, if this is an old standard def TV, progressive scan is of no use. If you are intending to upgrade the TV soon, then that's another story (although I would choose to get the TV first and then demo DVD players with it). If you've got other features in mind, or need another player in order to put a player in another room, that's another story. Any interest in DVD-Audio?

Doug

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wallace, Marvin: As you've been advised, you need an ATSC-capable display to take advantage of progressive scanning. However, if you're sticking with that older Sony for a while, it won't hurt to consider a prog scan-capable machine if only to take into account the player's future compatability. Before too long, you're going to want line-doubled, de-interlaced images. Meanwhile, you can simply adjust your new player--and there are several good ones at very low prices--for interlaced output. JB

9. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

10. Wallace Mason

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I shouldn't worry to much about upgrading. Actually my Sony looks good to me but if there a way to get a better picture then doesn't hurt to ask. Right?

11. Chris Hiter

Chris Hiter Stunt Coordinator

I have the NS300 I bought a year ago and right now I am looking at the 700 series which is progressive scan. I have a Wega which is not HDTV but I have talked to a few of my friends who upgraded their sony to the 700 and swear the picture improved without using the Progressive but who knows. I find my 300 to be a little on the soft side sometimes. I have also read about the Toshiba 4700 which is supposed to be good.