Recommend me a DVD player (sub $100)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wallace Mason, May 20, 2002.

1. Wallace Mason

Hello, I'm needing a DVD player for my mom. It doesn't have to be special at all. Just well built with a decent picture. Oh and it has to be black. I wanted to spend around 100 but I could go a little higher. A link to a place to buy it online would be great as she lives far away and I could have it shipped directly.

Thanks in advance.

2. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Wal-Mart has an Apex player for about $80. But, you get what you pay for. Check etronics or jandr to get a good deal online on a slightly higher, but better quality, player.

3. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Two cheapies that I KNOW are good: Daewoo 5700 at Sam's Club, and Apex 5131 (3-disc changer) at Circuit City and Sam's Club. The 5700 was down to $89, and you simply won't get any better than that in a $100 player. It might be replaced by the 5800 now.

Otherwise, for one easily available, the Rowa is on clearance at Sears for $89 now. I had one for a week. The picture was quite good, I liked the zoom 1.5x a lot, and was an all-around nice player, IMO. But the remote was terrible with it's chiclet-size keys and slow response. Oh, it's silver, though.

If nothing else, just stay away from Oritron. And Minteks aren't high on my list of cheapies, either.

4. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

I wish I could be like Wallace. When I buy my mother or sister something electronic like a PC or a mini stereo system, I buy them something I would like and would buy for myself. They end up benefitting from my good taste when I should have bought them some piece of garbage.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

My suggestion is to avoid sub-$100 DVD players. Take a look at budget models like the Pioneer DV-440, Panasonic DVD-RV32, and offerings by Toshiba and Sony. I'm talking about players between about $130 and $200. These are better players than the sub-$100 units. Then again, if I were looking for a DVD player for my mom, I'd probably end up taking Mark's approach. [​IMG]

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm really happy so far with my bedroom unit, a Toshiba SD-2800. Bought it from Buy.com for around $130 or so.

7. JerryLang

JerryLang Agent