1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

recommend me a DVD player please!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Keith_R, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I'm extremely interested in upgrading my 3 and 1/2 year old DVD player in the near future.

I'll be viewing on a standard def 4:3 Tv screen using composite video as my connection so progressive scan is not a big issue with me but I would like to try and get something which has as good a picture as possible with my components.

The biggest thing I want is universal formats capability since I'm eager to begin trying the high rez formats. DTS is also a must with me since I have many DVDs that include DTS and it's a feature I use frequently.I don't believe I need the best sounding audiophile player because my listening is done off of a HTiB system but a decent sounding player would be good. Not a low quality but not a highest quality either.

I'm also interested in having a changer, but I'm willing to sacrifice this feature if it means getting a better quality player. A changer would be nice though if possible.

If possible I would like to have features such as zoom, and multi-angle but I believe those are fairly common features on most any player nowadays.

The one big thing I want in this player is build quality and reliability. After searching for a bit now I don't think I have come across any newer player as nice in features and solidly built as my $200 3 and 1/2 year old Toshiba. It seems as though a lot of the newer players released in the past couple months are plagued with hardware and software issues. Considering my older player has worked reliably and flawlessly over the past few years I'd like the same preformance from my next player.

My budget is $200-$400. Does a player exist out there in my price range with the features I want? Thanks.

2. David Massey

David Massey Agent

I don't know if you can get 3 1/2 year old reliability out of a newer machine, newer equipment just isn't built as good as older stuff, that's a fact that we just have to live with. If you want reliability try to find a player with a direct drive spindle motor, if you still can, since the spindle motor is where most problems are. Almost all DVD players have DTS out so that shouldn't be a problem. As far as picture unless you have a high end TV and are very picky about the picture I don't think you will see too much difference between major brands. A single disc and a multi-disc use the same laser and motor assembly, so you don't have to sacrifice any quality to get a multi-disc. I don't know exactly what you mean by universal formats capability so I can't answer that one.

3. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I would reccomend a panasonic. I have had 2 panasonic dvd players and they both do fine. For your price range you should be able to get everything you want easily. As for the multi-disk changer, I would recomend against it. There is really no point to them and I find that I just end up leaving dvds in the player and when I look for them in their cases they aren't there. Plus you always have to tell the player Which tray to look in. And, since you're looking for reliability a multi disk changer is just one more thing that can break.

cheers

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    If you are looking for DVD-A/SACD playback ability and a carousel, then the Onkyo CP-802 is probably your best bet at the moment. It can be had at around 450$ and is a six disc changer. For single disc playback, Pioneer has the 563a (still kicking around at clearance prices) or the 578 (its replacement) at around 150$. The next step up is the mythical Yamaha S-1500 at 399$ (though it keeps getting pushed back) or a refurbished Denon 2200, at around the same price (I think, not sure about that one). Samsung is supposed to have a universal player/changer soon, don't know too much about these new models. More and more choices coming out, just depends on what level of sound quality and features you're looking for. The biggest limitation of most hi-res players is the inflexible/non-existent bass management/time alignment. If you're using an HTIB, then set everything to SMALL, set the distances if you can and cross your fingers (SACD tends to not have distance settings available in the less expensive models). Actually, the crossover frequencies on many players seems set with sat/sub HTIB style setups in mind, so you'll probably curse less than those with more expensive, larger range speakers who'd like to set crossovers at 60-80hz.

A note of caution, as you're a Toshiba owner. While your current player has been reliable, their new universals have seen a number of recalls and seem to have been rushed to market before being ready. Not knocking Toshiba overall, they make fine TVs, but their new DVD players seem problematic--do a search and you'll see what I mean.

5. David Massey

David Massey Agent

Beware of Panasonic and their spindle motors, many problems, supposedly they have improved them lately, don't know if that's true or not. The newer Toshibas seem to be plagued by the same problems too.

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

hmmm, maybe I worded that wrong. What I'm saying is I'm looking for a player capable of playing DVD, DVD-A, and SACD.

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    At this point it looks like your choices are the Pioneer 563/578 single disk at $130-150, the Denon 2200 refurb (if you can find one) and the Onkyo 802 multi-disk for $450. The Samsung 941 (I think) is also a uni-player but at $299 the Pioneer is a better deal. The Toshiba 6915 should have been what the doctor ordered but as others have said, too many problems. What a shame [​IMG] .

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

Actually, I have been looking at those players that you mentioned. The 563A looks pretty good but I've heard of people having software issues with some of those.The 578 also looks pretty good.

The Onkyo looks real tempting but I'm afraid of it's general build quality since I've heard of many people complaining about their Onkyo's failing after a year of use.