1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend DVD Player for 60" 4:3 Analog RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DougO, Nov 14, 2001.

1. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Need a new DVD player (under $275 street), and it has to look nice outputting to my '98 model Mits RPTV (s-vid in only) -- keeping this set for 3-4 more years.
    I've eliminated Toshiba due to excessive jaggies on anamorphic downconversion. Not buying Sony for other reasons & soft pic for anamorphic downconversion.
    Pioneer and Panasonic & JVC still in running. Prefer coax dig out since I have open coax available on receiver. Sound quality output as important as video output. Single disc, slimmer the better (but not mandatory).
    Pan RV31? JVC 60BK? Pio 440? Others?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I recently bought a Technics DVD-A10 in a similar situation. It's a hell of a unit, originally retailing for $1200 as the first ever DVD-A player. Quickly discontinued, it can now be had for $350 from J & R. A bit over your price range, but a great bargain.
    It features:
    * Great build quality.
    * DVD-A capability (gee-whiz!) and onboard dts. No bass management though.
    * Good (not great) downconversion - looks good on my 50" 4:3 NTSC set.
    * No chroma bug.
    * Extremely cool appearance and remote. [​IMG]
    * Excellent audio reproduction.
    I'm extremely happy with my DVD-A10 and would recommend it to you for your specific requirements without hesitation. If you want to keep your costs down further I would recommend the Pioneer player, their low-end stuff is really nice. The downconversion is great and the build quality is solid (though anything in that price range will feel like a toy compared to the 19 lb Technics).
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on November 14, 2001 at 11:46 AM]

3. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, the DVD-A player? Now I have to go looking for software I like to substantiate the extra $$$.