Recommend best non-progressive scan DVD Player < $400

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

And where on-line it can be found.
    Also are there DVD players that allow progressive scan feature to be
    turned on and off thru DVD menu and
    who are they.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

For the money, you may as well go with a progressive player as all the latest technology is in these units both audio and video. Even if you can't currently utilize the progressive feature, buying a good one at ever-lowering prices gives you some future growth potential. Some of these players feature a switch in the rear which must be toggled to activate Progressive or Interlaced. Others can be switched from the remote for convenience. There may be some that handle it through the menu but none come to mind.
    The web is filled with online stores like www.consumer-direct.com, www.wholesaleconnection.com, www.jandr.com, etc.
    If you want a very good player with full features try the Panny RP91 but that is currently over-budget. I have the JVC 70BK and can heartily recommend it. I also liked the Toshiba 4700/5700 series but beware the 'bugs'.

3. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Paul
    Thank you for that helpful information,
    tell me does the RP91 or your JVC
    have that progressive/interlaced switch. Best regards.

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Gerald,

Have you considered the Panasonic RP-56? It's well under your budget (~$225 or maybe less). I'm not sure if you can engage/disable PS via the menu, but this player is excellent for the money.

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hi Jerry,

I agree with Scott on the RP56 as well. The 70BK does it through the remote for convenience. I'm really not sure about the RP91. I would hope for the price it is remote/menu switchable.

I think you are wise to seek the best interlaced player you can find for the money. With increasing technology though,

many of them will be found wearing a progressive label.