Recommend an affordable direct view HDTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dwight Amato, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I have had a 47" Panny HDTV for 2 years now and I love it. Recently my cable company started carrying several HDTV channels, so I'd like to replace my living room TV (27" Superflat Panny) with an HDTV. I have no idea what is out there, and more importantly, what is affordable.

I was able to purchase my 47" for $1200, which was an excellent price on an excellent set. If my wife we cooler about watching TV in the basement I would watch it all the time.

I will sit around 7 feet from the new set (right where my 27" is right now), so I'm not sure what size widescreen set I should consider. If anyone can tell me what I should look at and any good places that carry it at a good price I would be eternally grateful.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I would go with a 36" toshiba best bang for your buck hands down. i sit about 6-7 feet from mine at it looks great.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I read Dwight’s post as looking for a 16:9 display. The 36” Toshiba is a 4:3 display, but in the same series, they make a 34”and a 30” widescreen that are pretty good.

Both Panasonic and Samsung make 30”, 16:9 sets, the Samsung being a bit less expensive than either the Toshiba or Panasonic (at least the last time I checked—things change).

All three companies displays are quite good—I’d give the edge in picture quality to the Panasonic and Toshiba, but the price/performance edge to the Samsung.

4. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

Actually, when I posted this I was thinking about widescreen sets, since that's what I have in my basement and I love it. But now, after further thought, I'm leaning towards a 4x3 set.

My wife really hates how my Panny streches the picture. With a 4x3 I will not have to worry about it. Plus, a 32" set will be larger then my current 27", and widescreen movies will be quite a bit larger. Not only that, I will get .6" less screen size then if I purchased a much more expensive 30" widescreen.

Someday all broadcasts will be in widescreen, so at that time I will just bust out my 47" for all the shows, or just get a new set [​IMG]. Now to find a decent 32" at a good price...

5. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

The Toshiba 32HF7X series is very good. OneCall.com currently has the 32HF72 (last year's model) priced at $988.88.

[​IMG]

I have the 32HFX71 and am very pleased with it. You would have trouble finding a better 32" HDTV ready TV for the price.