What's new

Recommend an affordable direct view HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a 47" Panny HDTV for 2 years now and I love it. Recently my cable company started carrying several HDTV channels, so I'd like to replace my living room TV (27" Superflat Panny) with an HDTV. I have no idea what is out there, and more importantly, what is affordable.

I was able to purchase my 47" for $1200, which was an excellent price on an excellent set. If my wife we cooler about watching TV in the basement I would watch it all the time.

I will sit around 7 feet from the new set (right where my 27" is right now), so I'm not sure what size widescreen set I should consider. If anyone can tell me what I should look at and any good places that carry it at a good price I would be eternally grateful.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I would go with a 36" toshiba best bang for your buck hands down. i sit about 6-7 feet from mine at it looks great.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I read Dwight’s post as looking for a 16:9 display. The 36” Toshiba is a 4:3 display, but in the same series, they make a 34”and a 30” widescreen that are pretty good.

Both Panasonic and Samsung make 30”, 16:9 sets, the Samsung being a bit less expensive than either the Toshiba or Panasonic (at least the last time I checked—things change).

All three companies displays are quite good—I’d give the edge in picture quality to the Panasonic and Toshiba, but the price/performance edge to the Samsung.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, when I posted this I was thinking about widescreen sets, since that's what I have in my basement and I love it. But now, after further thought, I'm leaning towards a 4x3 set.

My wife really hates how my Panny streches the picture. With a 4x3 I will not have to worry about it. Plus, a 32" set will be larger then my current 27", and widescreen movies will be quite a bit larger. Not only that, I will get .6" less screen size then if I purchased a much more expensive 30" widescreen.

Someday all broadcasts will be in widescreen, so at that time I will just bust out my 47" for all the shows, or just get a new set :). Now to find a decent 32" at a good price...

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshiba 32HF7X series is very good. OneCall.com currently has the 32HF72 (last year's model) priced at $988.88.

I have the 32HFX71 and am very pleased with it. You would have trouble finding a better 32" HDTV ready TV for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks