What's new

Recommend / Advice Needed - Which Racing Wheel Should (1 Viewer)

Hi. I'm just getting into gamming (I play Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast a little) and my 9 1/2 year old son is just starting to get into PC gaming (as opposeed to his Playstation, Gameboy and N64; actually JK II was bought for him). In fact I will be buying him his first PC racing game, which I too will of course want to play (choosing between Le Mans 24 Hours, Nascar 2002 or F1 2002).
I need recommendations / advice on which racing wheel to buy that will be most compatible with my system and have good features. I've noticed most force feedback wheels cost about $100 (I really don't want to spend that much) so I'm not sure if I will get one that has the force feedback feature. So, please help me decide what to get; with or without the force feedback feature.
In one store the salesman recommended Logitech Wingman over MS Sidewinder. I am not stuck on those brands (they're the only 2 mfg names that I have heard of). The names (brands?), Thrustmaster and Saitek have been mentioned but without any recommendations, just that those brands exist. I never heard of them.
Anyway, your suggestions and reasons (for choosing one brand, or model, over the other) is desperately needed.
My System:
Dell Dimension 8200
Intel P4 @ 1.8 GHz with 512 Mb RDRAM
80 GB Maxtor 6L080L4 Hard Drive
Planar PV174 (17.4") TFT LCD monitor (1280 x 1024 native resolution) w/ DVI-D input and self powered 2 port USB 1.1 Hub
NVIDIA 64MB DDR GeForce3 Ti200 w/ DVI-D output (Dell OEM - actually an MSI 8851)
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers
Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (Dell OEM)
Win XP Home Edition v.5.1.2600 (Dell OEM)
Microsoft Office Small Business (Dell OEM)
Norton Internet Security 2002 (retail)
Conexant HSF V.92 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Fax Modem
Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter NIC
NEC DV-5800A variable speed DVD ROM
LITE-ON LTR-24102M CD-RW
Roxio Easy CD Creator Platinum v.5.1.0.104 (retail)
Dell Enhanced Performance USB Keyboard
Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
HP PSC 950 Multi-Function Device
Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller (2442 & 2444)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Nice system!

The logitech racing wheels are really nice. If I was to get a wheel I would get the Logitech.

Why don't you get both at Best Buy and take back the one you don't like...thats the only way you will get one that truely makes you happy.

Is there any force feedback wheel out there for less than $100?

If I have to get a non-force feedback one, is Logitech's the best?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Logitech is the best out there period, both force feedback and non-forcefeedback. To me the MS wheels just feel really cheap. I don't think there are any out there that have FF for less that $100...to me FF is annoying especially on the PC, it never seems to get done right.

Frank_Lee

Agent
I was at my local FYE today and noticed that the Logitech Driving Force for the Playstation 2 was marked down to $59.99. It's basically the same wheel as the Wingman Formula Force GP, except with PS2 buttons on it. It uses a USB interface so it plugs right into your computer. I own one myself and Windows XP recognizes it automatically but I don't have any PC driving games to test it on.

I'm not sure if this is a local promotion or not, but it might be worth checking out in your area if you're still looking for a wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks