Recommend a VCR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I'm not sure if I want to spend big money on a VCR so I'm thinking at just getting one for $300CDN or less. I've looked at the SVHS but I'm not sure if I want to spend $700CDN+ for a VCR. I could replace all the VCRS in my house. I bought the Panasonic PV-V4661-K yesterday for $250CDN. The JVC HR-S3910U is the same price. Did I make the right choice?
    [Edited last by Howard_S on November 04, 2001 at 10:02 PM]

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

My girlfriend got the Sony SLV-N81 VCR a few weeks ago for $150 USD, and it's a great VCR. It's loaded with features, and with the silver chassis, looks very nice. The remote is quite good too. Here is a link on Crutchfield's web site for more information:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-TxrSuI7PxoO/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=56000 &I=158SLVN81&o=M&a=0
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on November 04, 2001 at 10:57 PM]

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

You don't have to spend $700.00 on an SVHS to get extraordinary performance. The 7800 has come down in price. It used to be $599.00 and the 9800 used to be $799.00. I live in Canada, so prices in my post are in CAD. My JVC 7800 SVHS VCR was only $359.00 or $412.00 with tax. I think the 9800 is $599.00. At the Future Shop, JVC's 3800 is $249.00 and the 4800 is $299.00 so I thought, another $60 or 70 bucks is worth it for the TBC alone. The TBC is simply amazing as a Digital Video Noise reduction. Really cleans up video tape. If there is a real problem with tracking, you're not gonna fix it, but noisey tapes look almost like Laserdisc on this thing. OK, maybe not quite laserdisc because of the difference in resolution, but pretty darn close cause the lack of noise makes the colour much richer, like Laserdisc. If only VHS tapes weren't all Pan & Scan!
    The 7800 and 9800 aren't found at Future Shop. Need I explain? The "Future Shop" is a cookie cutter store who only carries what they want to carry and its cause of their stupid franchise distribution setup. I went to a mom and pop audio store instead and found the 7800 for what I thought was a great price of $359.00 plus tax.
    Your Panasonic is probably ok, but the 7800 with TBC is way better for older tapes, and even new tapes are improved with the TBC digital noise reduction.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 04, 2001 at 11:23 PM]

5. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Howard, I think you should of gotten the JVC. It is an S-VHS model for starters. That should be enough of a reason! I think the JVC's ergonomics are better too. The two Panasonic VCRs I've had both had very small remote windows, to the point of being irritating. I vote JVC...best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

7. Howard_S

Ya at the price of the Panny I got, it would have been the JVC 3800 found at Futureshop. But it's alright. I still have 2 VCRS that I could replace. Here's what I use it for.
    We have 3 VCRS in the house. One is a old Panny 2 head, the new Panny, and a 4 year old Sony (mine) which doesn't seem to be all that great.
    The two Pannys are used for recording. My mom does the recording and she records everything in ET mode. I think the 2head gets more of the recording work. The new Panny because of where it's currently situated is the primary player. It plays the recorded tapes at least a few hours a day. So pretty heavy use. My Sony is used occasionally. Sometimes for home videos, and mostly for the recorded TV again.
    So taking that into account, how should I go about doing this. If I am going to get a SVHS I'm obviously not going to buy 2 of them. My mom probably won't care enough to buy SVHS tapes so the JVCs are an option. I'm thinking a good VCR for recording may make a big difference instead of having the worst VCR doing the bulk of the recording.

8. Howard_S

bump