Recommend a TV for Me!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Lee Scoggins, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,

I need to replace one of my sets. I have a budget of $1,500-$2,000 but need HD capability and want the latest tech.

Should I stick with a CRT and get better black levels or move up to a large widescreen RPTV?

What are some brands and models to look at?

Thanks for your help!

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Ouch! No takers?

Don't think I deserve a TV? [​IMG]

3. GregHC

GregHC Agent

Wanting the latest tech, will most likely cost you more than 2k.

Say you were looking for a plasma, You can get a good deal on a panny edtv 42" (2300$). or Best Buy has the Sampo HDTV 50" for 3500$.

Say you want DLP, You can get a good buy on an 50" HLP for around 3k. You can get a HLN for about 2500.

Say LCDRP, you can get a good deal on the Panasonic 50lc13 (about 2200 or so)

So that leaves the older style RPTV. 1500-2000 range. From there it is all a matter of choice.
    What size are you looking for?
    Any specific features?
    Do you need a Tuner?
    How far back do you sit?
    Is it for everyday viewing or for movies (You may want to look into a front projector)

4. RobertC

RobertC Agent

Lee
    Me and my wife brought a Hitachi 51S500 and we
    are very very happy with it.I look at sony,panasonic,
    jvc,rca,tosbia.And i think the hitachi is the best
    made They made most of the parts for all rptv.Sony
    even gets the part from hitachi.They make your cabnets
    too.The picture was pretty good out of the box. But after
    you make the calibration to the set useing Avia,sound & vision home theater tune-up disc or video essentials.
    You will not belive how great the picture is.I'am
    so happy i got this one.Hope this helps.

regards
    RobertC

5. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

I have a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV. I absolutely love it! Black levels are very good (they struggle a bit on plasma screens). The high definition picture is nothing short of life like. DVDs are outstanding. I am soooo happy with my TV!!! You can now get them for under $2,000.

6. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend a Direct View TV. You can get some B-E-A-UTIFUL Sony's in that range.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Hitachi salesmen just love to repeat that old tale about most other brands having Hitachi parts, especially the crts. Hasn't been true for the last 4 or 5 years or so.

Sony uses either their own crts or outsources to Panasonic, but not Hitachi.

Best bang for the buck in the 1500-2000 range is still crt based rptv. I'd look for one that can do native 480p from a progressive scan player rather than one that converts it to 540p--Sony and Mitsubishi do this, Toshiba and Hitachi don't.

Fixed pixel displays like lcd and dlp are attractive mainly due to lack of convergence and burn-in issues but still can't match the pq of a well set up crt set and are still more expensive.