What's new

Recommend a Sound/DVD system for my new TV (please!) (1 Viewer)

Javery

Auditioning
I recently bought a Panasonic Plasma HDTV (TH-42PX20U/P) and I am now looking to set up the sound and DVD player for it - the only problem is I don't own anything yet! :)

I am looking for a receiver, 5.1 (or 6.1) speaker set and a progressive-scan DVD player but I have no idea where to begin. I have about $1,000 (maybe $1,200 if I stretch it) to spend on this stuff. I am not an audiophile (I would like a nice sound though) but I want to get a high quality picture out of my DVDs.

One note - my TV room is only 8ft. wide so I would like small speakers (similar to the Bose cubes but not Bose cubes if you know what I mean)...

I welcome any and all suggestions - I want to do this right. Thanks!!

Kevin*Ha

Agent
Well if you're primarily concerned with video quality the Faroudja-hype is certainly worth listening to. Basically if you want that chip you're stuck with an older Panasonic (XP30 iirc, can be found on EBay I would assume) or a Denon DVD-910. Those are ~$299, though you could likely knock $50 off that price. I think there is one other but I'm not certain, also there is a Yamaha coming out in March with that chip that should be in the same price range.

As for the receiver and speakers, you would have ~700-900 left to split up between receiver/sub/5-6 speakers, definity go heavy on the speakers/sub. I'm hesitant to recommend a certain model because there are far more knowledgable people on these boards than me but *if* I had to pick a receiver it would probably be the Pioneer VSX-D812K. It's a 6.1 with dd ex, dts es, neo:6 etc and shouldn't be more than $250, which leaves you 5-700 for speakers. You'll probably spend at least $200 of that on the sub, rest on the speakers. It will be tough but it can be done. I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations.

John S

Senior HTF Member
What is the size of your room? ??x??x??

8' wide doesn't mean much if it is 25' long and has 12' cielings.

$1000 to $1200 is a decent budget for a system.

Do you want to listen to much music on the system?
If so do the newer audio formats SACD and/or DVD-A interest you as well?

I just seen this ultra bargain 6.1 AVR on ecost:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...=247585#scroll

They also still have Onkyo SR-501's for $185, which has 50mhz component video switching, which may become more important for you in the future.

Do a search on the Sony SA-WM500 12" powered sub, they run as low as $135

But alas these would be more bargain systems then your dollars call for, you may as well get some higher end stuff for sure.

I am going to go with the $1200 mark here.
ecost - has the H/K AVR-520 going for $338

Cerwin Vega has two different 15" powered subs that can be found at the $300 mark.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90128209&loc=
and
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...15&svbname=293

I got a serious demo of one of these on Monday night, I am not sure which one though, but I can ask, they seem like they would be very similar in performance.

For a decent Universal Player (DVD, SACD, DVD-A, ect..ect..)
I like the Pioneer DV-563A - Universal Player - $180

That leaves you nearly $400 for speakers, there has to be a decent 6.1 / 7.1 satalite type speaker system out there for that somewhere.

I like JBL s26II's these days, but they are larger than Sats, but on the small side for Bookshelf speakers.

You can almost get 3 pair of these for a full 6.1 system within budget.

Now that would be a great high end sounding and performing system indeed. And be ready to play CD's, SACD's, and DVD-A's in all their glory.

Javery

Auditioning
Thanks John. :) The people on this site rule - very informative.

My TV room is (don't laugh) 8ft. wide by 8ft. high by 18ft. long. It is shaped like a long rectangle. I have the TV opposite the couch (it's about 6.5 ft. away when you are actually sitting down) and everything sort of crammed to one end of the room. The end of the couch is only about 2ft. from the end wall. I plan on connecting everything so the speakers are relatively close to the couch with all of the sound facing inward. I'm trying to set it up as though almost half of the room does not exist. Here's a rough sketch (the "s" are where I want to place speakers minus the center and sub):

__________door_______________
|........................s.......tv........s|
|............................................|
|............................................|
|_______________s___couch___s|

John S

Senior HTF Member
Your room requirements aren't so large that you need a lot of power and/or efficient speakers.

But with a budget of $1200 you gotta go for something that at least approaches higher end.

I would at least turn it so the room is balanced, having one side pushing off of corners with the other two not, is not even near optimal.

In other words the fronts would be pushing off of corners, and the surround would not be.

But with careful calibration, the existing setup can still work ok too.

Javery

Auditioning
I'm probably going to have to go the callibration route. The left and right "walls" are in fact floor to ceiling windows so the setup you suggested is impossible. Plus, my wife would really kill me since the TV installers just spent 3 hours last Saturday hanging the Plasma.:wink:

Oh, and to answer your question about SACD and DVD-A, they would be nice perks but certainly not must-haves...

Anyone else have any other recommnedations?

JeffreyD

Auditioning
Here's my suggestion (it's what I picked out for my sister, to go with her new Panasonic plasma):

Pioneer Elite EX-500 (DVD-Audio & SACD A/V System)

pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_2047431_2046358,00.html

Klipsch Reference RSX-5 (satellite speakers) x 6

Klipsch Reference RW-12 (powered subwoofer)

klipsch.com

Total cost (negotiated) was about $2000. I very highly recommend this system, it's truely awesome.

If that's too much money, you could down-grade the speakers to RSX-4's (or maybe the upcoming RSX-3's) and the subwoofer to an RW-10 (or maybe even an RW-8).

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'mnot sure I understand why the room cannot be turned. But never the less, calibration will be tricky. Definetly get an SPL meter.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If an all-in-one system with a tiny foot print would be something you'd like, I would recommend a Sony Dream system. You've got a tiny headunit with a 5 CD/DVD changer and a 5 channel amp that has inputs for VCR and/or digital cable/sattelite, progressive scan DVD video, 5 small speakers that won't call attention to themselves too much, and a nice little bass module.

I suspect that if you've got a plasma TV you're not going to want a rack of big black boxes and big black box speakers. The Sony Dream Systems are a really nice alternative.

Javery

Auditioning

Yeah, I think I am going to try to get a small set of white speakers so they don't stand out so much...

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
If one of the factors playing into your speaker purchase is the physical footprint of the speakers, I'd very strongly consider the Infinity TSS-750 speaker set (MSRP $749).

The drivers are based on Infinity's famous CMMD drivers, and I've read and heard nothing but good things about these relatively affordable speakers.

Edit: I just saw them in Crutchfield's Scratch and Dent section for $595 :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I'd be all over the Infinity's at that price point (especially because they'd be perfect for the size of my living room) were it not for the fact that I've already bought a new RPTV and Panny XP30 this year. I don't think the wife will stand for any more HT purchases this year. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks