What's new

Recommend a SACD or two (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Here's my situation. Got my 555ES in December and absolutely love it. However, I have only purchased 5 SACD's since I got this player because at the cost of the disks, I don't like spending money on things which I am unfamiliar. However, looking for the good music folks here at HTF to provide some suggestions.

My musical tastes are really diverse...I listen to everything but Rap, so suggest away.

I am probably going to purchase the new Alison Krauss SACD when it's released and probably will get the new Celine Dion as well, because I really like the new single. Not a huge Celine fan however.

I have heard the new Indigo Girls is good however. I do plan on getting Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" sooner or later and am wondering if John Coltrane's "Love Supreme" is on this format.

I am partial to Jazz, female vocalists and Rock...with a little R&B thrown in. Anything out there I may have never heard of that just sounds incredible and is a "must have"? I have heard a lot of good things about Rebecca Pigeon's "The Raven" but I have no idea what type of music it is..anything to compare it to?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, I don't know how to exactly describe Rebecca Pidgeon The Raven except that it offers great vocal music. When I see Pidgeon's albums in stores, they are often filed under jazz, but I don't really consider The Raven as jazz. It is a bit folky, but it really is a great album. You've got to hear her rendition of "Spanish Harlem" on SACD. It is wonderful. Actually, it sounds good on CD too, but it's better on SACD.
As for jazz titles, consider the following in addition to Kind of Blue:
* All Miles Davis SACDs :)
* The Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out (recently released as a multi-channel disc, but the stereo version is still available)
* Chris Botti Night Sessions (multi-channel disc with smooth trumpet)
* Charles Mingus Mingus Ah Um (stereo)
* Herbie Hancock Head Hunters (recently released in multi-channel, though you may still come across the stereo version)
There are also some Louis Armstrong SACDs out, but I don't have them yet. I am not aware of any Coltrane SACDs out at this time.
A few of my other favorite SACDs that I recommend highly in terms of music and sonics are as follows:
* The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs (two-disc stereo set with a great mix of music)
* The Isley Brothers 3 + 3 (multi-channel)
* The O'Jays Ship Ahoy (multi-channel)
* Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Couldn't Stand the Weather (stereo)
* James Taylor Hourglass (multi-channel)
* Keb' Mo' The Door (stereo)
* Joe Satriani Engines of Creation (stereo)
Well, that should get you started. ;)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Keith, thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try "The Raven" and I already have "Couldn't Stand The Weather" and the stereo version of "Time Out"...those are two of my five;)
Funny you didn't mention SRV's "Texas Flood". I haven't picked this one up because I have it on Redbook, but because you didn't include it I'm wondering if it's sonically different from CSTW?
I've been interested in "Ah Uhm" for a while now. Is this type of jazz similar to the Brubeck style or more like Davis or completely dissimilar to both?

Jeff PB

Agent
Like you, I do not have many SACDs yet because I am not familiar with most of the titles, and I have already wasted some money trying some things I was not familiar with. However, I did get lucky with Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow" in MC. Highly recommended.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I just recently bought a SACD player (last week) and so far I have three SACDs:
Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits
James Taylor - Hourglass
Roger Waters - In the Flesh
Out of the three I own, the Alice in Chains disc is the least impressive, which bums me out, but it still sounds really good for a multi-channel mix. Highlights on that disc are Again, Angry Chair, No Excuses, and I Stay Away. What pisses me off about this disc is Grind. Cantrell redid his vocals so now he drowns out Layne during the "Yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh" line. :angry:
The James Taylor disc is the best sounding of the three. Everything about it is incredible. If all SACDs could reach this quality, I would be in audio bliss.
Roger Waters is very close to James Taylor in sound quality and the song selection on this 2 disc set is fantastic. Many great Pink Floyd songs and Waters solo material. This disc is worth the $30 if you are a Floyd or Waters fan.
-Dean-
NP: Alice in Chains - Mix disc I made

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, your Blow by Blow disc is multi-channel?! Shit, I think mine is just stereo. Damnit.
And yesterday, I also found out that Carmina Burana has been released in multi-channel, after I just got the stereo version.
I hope this doesn't become like DVDs- releases, re-release, buy and buy again.
Evan, are you interested in classical music at all? In my experience, classical benefits the most from the high-res format, bringing the orchestra to life and pianos sound especially terrific. I can recommend a couple of choice classical titles if you want.
I highly recommend Joe Satriani's Engines of Creation if you're into that kind of music. It's instrumental rock guitar with techno-ish flavoring. It's a stereo track, but sounds awesome.
Other than that, I haven't been floored by the rock SACDs. I have Texas Flood, Blonde on Blonde, Blow by Blow (stereo :angry: ), and Abraxas. They're good, but not the format's selling point, IMO.
As for jazz, Charles Mingus' Ah Um is absolutely wonderful. As this is possibly my favorite album of all time (not favorite jazz album- favorite album period), having this disc alone makes the format worthy for me. Of course, I'm biased, as I still think the music is astounding, but it sure do sounds purty.
As for Miles Davis, there are quite a few out there. After Kind of Blue, I think the best one sonically and musically is Miles Smiles, my first SACD. Sketches of Spain is a classic, and the big band playing those slow sweet melodies sounds wonderful on SACD. Live-Evil is good if you're into the later "weird" Miles stuff, and Jazz at the Plaza is a good album for Miles fans to have. I have not heard Quiet Nights, Big Fun, or Black Beauty yet, but I will soon.
Dave Brubeck's Take Five is another multi-channel jazz SACD that's worth checking out. I like the mix a lot- ambience and hi-hats in the back, Paul Desmond's sax in the center, and Brubeck on the mains- just the way I'd have done it.
My three favorite SACDs so far:
Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto, performed by Volodos
Charles Mingus Ah Um
Joe Satriani Engines of Creation
NP: Miles Davis, Live at the Fillmore East, CD

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Evan,
Another recommendation for Mingus Ah Um from me.
Also, strongly recommend:
McCoy Tyner: New York Reunion
Rebecca Pidgeon: The Raven (good job Keith!)
Keb Mo: The Door
Mischa Mengelberg Quarter: Four in One
Wayne Horvitz: Sweeter than the Day
Miles Davis: Miles Smiles
Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser
Dave Brubeck: Time Out
Duke Ellington: Blues In Orbit
Mahler Symphony #6, Michael Tilson Thomas, San Francisco Symphony
YoYo Ma, Mark O'Connor, Edgar Meyer: Appalachian Journey
Willie Nelson: Stardust
Sopranos Soudtrack - especially Kasey Chambers The Captain and Frank Sinatra, Bangles and Baubles
Jacintha: Here's to Ben
James Taylor: Hourglass
Hope that helps :)
Lee

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Instead of rehashing, I recommend checking out a couple of recordings that have yet to be suggested:
Bob Mintzer Big Band Homage to Count Basie DMP Records (stereo + MC)
Bucky Pizzarelli Swing Live Chesky Records (stereo+MC)
Note: The Bob Mintzer disc received a 2001 grammy for best Large Jazz Ensemble Recording.
Regards,

Jeff PB

Agent
Yes sorry to rub it in but the Jeff Beck SACD I have is MC. I think it is a pretty good mix, too but something you might want to be aware of is much of the guitar is shifted to the right rear surround so you just need to have your room setup well, level and tone balanced, which is something I am still working on. My front speakers shine compared to my rears so that is where I like to have some of the more critical music located. Which made me think of what I think would be a cool feature, but something that may be harder to implement right, than one might think. A remote button to rotate the channels. You could swivel the mix to suit your room and configuration.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'd also highly recommend Rebecca Pidgeon's The Raven. She has a stunning voice and excellent songs (folk meets jazz, you might say).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan,

No problem. I have the Texas Flood SACD, and it is great. However, I prefer Couldn't Stand the Weather. In terms of sound quality, the Texas Flood SACD is definitely worth grabbing.

Mike,

Jeff Beck Blow by Blow first came out as a stereo SACD but was replaced with a multi-channel version. Best Buy stores in my area have both versions. The stereo version is out of print, but old copies that never sold are still around.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah? Well, I picked up the MC Blow By Blow last night, so hah!

I think they did put a little too much of the lead in the rear, but it's still cool.

Now I'll have to try to sell my stereo disc on e-bay or something.

NP: Randy Weston, Spirits of Our Ancestors, CD

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Question for everyone...I'm interested in the "Jazz at the Pawnshop" double SACD offered on amusicdirect.com. I've heard very good things and with a live 5.1 recording I bet it has a lot of what showcases SACD in the first place (great multi-channel sound)...but at $60 for the two disk set, that's kind of pricey. Any opinions on this set? Anyone have it that can comment and can I find it anywhere else cheaper? Thanks.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Evan,
I have an option for you...
If you are in Manchester, CT, I would wait for the May 30th NYC Home Entertainment 2002 show that Stereophile is doing. I bought Jazz at the Pawnshop there for cheap. The prices at the show for all the CDs are great, usually $5-$10 below even normal internet prices, the so-called "show specials". They also have good accessory prices there.
It costs you around $25 or $30 to get in, but you also see around 60 rooms full of gear and get a good headlining concert. If you buy a lot of discs there the admission price is relatively low.
I think this is the best way to get a good deal.
:)
Lee

John Beavers

Second Unit
For Jazz I would recommend:

Benny Waters "Live at the Pawnshop"

Jay McShann "What a Wonderful World"

Bruce Katz Band "Three Feet Off the Ground"

For Blues I'd go with:

Doug MacLeod "Whose Truth Whose Lies" and "Unmarked Road"

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I saw the announcements for that show, but unfortunately I have to take the Level II Chartered Financial Analyst Exam on June 1st. It is consuming about 95% of my free time and will continue to do so until the exam is completed. If the show was the weekend after May 30th, I would be there with bells on..but unfortunately I cannot attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks