What's new

Recommend a Progressive Scan DVD player that plays DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Can anyone recommend a moderately priced DVD player that can do Progressive scan and DVD-A?
If you care to recommend a retailer, too, that would be nice.
I saw a JVC model that had a 7 disc changer, did progressive scan and DVD-A for $400 - but it wasn't in stock? Is this a decent unit?
I am ugrading to an HDTV-ready set, so I'd like to get progressive scan, and I might as well be DVD-Audio ready also.
Thanks.
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I work for Best Buy and we just got this player in on Friday. I have to admit I am not too fond of the way the tray works. Did they have one you could open to look at the way the discs change? It raises the front 2 up so you can load them and then it lowers again. I guess that was their way of squeezing 7 into where 5 normally fits. Anyway, the picture is JUST like the single disc model 65 that is already in stores. I imagine they use the same chipset and everything. Try what I said to before you buy. See what you think.
------------------
Heal a Million, Kill a Million

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, it seems as though many people here are high on the Panasonic DVD-RP91, which sells for around $500. I haven't used it myself, but I do own and am very happy with the Technics DVD-A10, which preceded the 'RP91. In addition, Panasonic makes the DVD-RP61 for around $300. I would take either player over a JVC unit. Maybe the new JVC players are improved, but they have had an issue with reliability with their DVD players. I have heard too many horror stories about JVC players breaking down early to ever consider one.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the new JVC players are improved, but they have had an issue with reliability with their DVD players.
The same (if not worse) goes for the Panasonic DVD player history. Panasonic is a good brand, but it does have a "terrible" history with some of their DVD models much like JVC.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Only time will tell on the reliability of the RP91s but the sheer performance and value of features put it in extremely high regard.
I've enjoyed every minute that I've owned it. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've had good luck w/ Panasonic gear in the past, though this is my first Panny DVD player.
For the price range though, it is a tough model to beat on performance and features.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I currently own a JVC DVD player (a 3 disc tray model, don't remember the model #) and I've never had a problem.
I guess I am searching for the "best bang for the buck". I need something that will make the wife notice "the difference" between what we have now and the new stuff.
Anyone else with a recommendation? Anyone own the JVC?
------------------

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Here's that JVC model I was referring to.
Anyone have this? It looks pretty new.
------------------

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
The problems with Panasonic DVD players was pretty much limited to the A110 and the A310. There hasn't been any problems since then that I'm aware of. My A110 still works fine. The Panasonic RP61 isn't out yet but it looks to be a great player for the money, progressive scan and DVD Audio for $300.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I have the JVC 723 player and have been pleased with it's performance. For under $300 you can't beat it. I have owned only Toshibas before so the 5 video/film modes took some getting used to but it does have a very nice picture. The lack of the chroma bug is a definite plus.
DVD-Audio sounds wonderful on this player also.
Have you thought about SACD? I can't think of a practical way to connect an SACD player to my system and still have DVD-A with full resolution for both.
Hopefully the new Apex player will be an option. Progressive scan, DVD-A, SACD, multi-region, and chroma error free. Sounds promising.
Good luck,
rin
------------------
My Home Theater
[Edited last by rin on August 21, 2001 at 11:58 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks