Recommend a matching center

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Milanski, Jan 8, 2002.

1. John Milanski

John Milanski Auditioning

Howdy all!

I need help finding a new center speaker. It needs to match my existing speakers well enough, and have great L/R speakers available when I have the $$$ to upgrade them too.

Right now, I have two Celestion 9 speakers as fronts. They are 3-way, ported, with a 1" titanium dome tweeter, 4.5" mid.

Response: 55 Hz - 20 kHz (+-3dB), 48 Hz at (-6dB).

Crossover: 9 element, 1 kHz 2nd order high and low pass, 4kHz 2nd order high and low pass

Sensitivity: 89dB

Oh, and the system will probably be 50/50 music/HT.

Based on this, what centers out there might match? Ascend CBM-170's? Paradigm CC170's? HTD? Thanks much...

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Why handicap yourself by matching a center to mains that are going away?

Find some MAINS that you really want and go from there, get THAT center, then those mains.

My opinion, humble as it is...

It's just tough to come up with a suitable center for you that way. Maybe someone else knows...

Good Luck!

- CM

3. John Milanski

John Milanski Auditioning

Thanks Colin...

I guess I was just thinking that there are many good choices for new front (L/C/R) speakers. Why not pick one that has a center in the same ballpark as my old L/R, so I don't have to suffer the 6 months until I can replace them.

Again, my situation is probably 50/50 music/HT. I kind of liked the offerings from Paradigm (CC170 center), Ascend (CBM170 center), and HTD Level III, but don't have the know-how to tell if they'd match up at all with the ol' Celesions. The Swan Diva C3 ($499) is way out of my price range...

Thanks...

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Getting the same tweeter style (metal) is the most important, then probably cabinet style (ported, sealed), woofer size and type, then specs. You can adjust for efficency.

You WILL have to live with some kind of difference, but get it close and you will survive.

Unless the center is EXACTLY the same as the mains, it will never sound exactly the same to you. I've tried it, anyway. Your results may differ...

Good Luck!

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

colin's right.
    just get the center speaker you want/like now...then get the matching mains when you can.
    don't even worry about timbre-matching to something you're going to eventually get rid of.
    that would not be logical...
    [​IMG]