1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a low price reciever please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Woods, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Tony Woods

Tony Woods Extra

After a few years with my Pioneer D607S DD reciever, I think it is time to upgrade. I was generally happy with the reciever except for the lack of DTS, binding posts, and minor other things. I found the Pioneer 810S for under $300 online and it looks nice, 6.1 sound, 7.1 inputs, etc.
    Although I have been happy with Pioneer in the past, I am more than willing to look at other brands. Any recomendations for $350 or less? (online price)

2. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

Tony, I just replaced my old Pioneer Pro-Logic VSX-512S with the Onkyo 595, and have been very pleased. The Onkyo has binding posts, DD and DTS, along with the new Pro-Logic 2 (which is great for watching stereo TV broadcasts and old VHS tapes.) It does NOT have 6.1 inputs, but does have multi-channel 5.1 inputs (such as for SACD or DVD-Audio). Like you, I was VERY HAPPY with my old Pioneer. Although the Onkyo 595 is a bit of a dropoff in power from the Pioneer (100W vs. 75W), the sound from my new receiver is overall better in quality, even with FM broadcasts. (I rarely need to play the volume more than two-thirds max anyway.) Other features include S-Video switching (but not component switching), and Cinema Re-Eq (a feature that I have yet to utilize). This unit has a great remote control, too, although it isn't fully back-lit, which is a bit of a disappointment. I bought the Onkyo for $359 from J&R. This is in your price range. Onkyo's website has more details on their line of receivers if you are interested.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I would recommend the lower-end kenwood recievers...
    5.1 channel inputs, loads of Svideo inputs, a nice number of digital inputs, nice power, DPL2 decoding, and the $399 one (i think) is THX Certified too... Nice thing to have... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Yamaha has a few good models in that price range. Excellent build quality, good DSP's, etc.
    Yamaha has recently introduced their new line so you may be able to get one of last years models for a song. With this approach you could get a receiver that was originally retailing for around $500-700 for around your price range.
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

5. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Agent

I should add in the Marantz SR5000 at $349. If you want your music to have great sound stage. HT ain't to shabby either. I got tt px from accessories4less.com, refurbed w/one yr guarantee. Marantz is pretty classA stuff.

6. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

I think you should stick with the Pioneer. You've liked it in the past; you'll probably like it in the future. Clearly you have no particular complaint with your existing receiver, and what little complaints you have will be taken care of by a new receiver.
    Don't let anyone talk you into changing brands. You're happy with Pioneer.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])

7. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Stunt Coordinator

I'll third the Kenwood. I recently purchased the Kenwood VR-507. Love it! Love it! Love it!
    DPLII
    DTS
    Binding posts
    Much much more.
    ------------------
    "I've got to get me one of them DVD rewinders!"

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

9. John M Miller

John M Miller Stunt Coordinator

I just got a refurbished Pioneer Elite 33TX off uBid for $330, shipped. Preamp outs, THX cert, can't be beat.
    I see that you can get a Denon 1802 for $358 plus shipping at ecost and Let's Go Digital. Killer sound.
    If you can go a little higher, the Outlaw 1050 is $500 on their website and is an absolute steal. Especially since it has 6.1.
    ------------------
    Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria
    [​IMG]

10. John M Miller

John M Miller Stunt Coordinator