recommend a low cost video card

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Gove, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

I primarily play games on my XBOX, however, I want to buy Jedi Knight 2 so I can play it on my PC. My PC is only a Pentium III 451 mhz w/ 128 meg RAM (running XP Professional). Can anyone recommend a new LOW COST video card that will enable me to play Jedi Knight 2? I'm SO out of the loop when it comes to cards. The last new one I bought was a Voodoo 3 2000. I have no idea what to buy now.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

VisionTek nVidia GeFORCE3 Ti200 ~$150

3. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

OK, how about a card under 100 bucks. Also, where to buy. Thanks

4. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Combined with your processor, you may need more than a sub $100 graphics card to get good performance. At a certain point, your processor is going to be the limiter of your performance, regardless of your video card. You may want to think of putting the $100 towards a faster CPU and maybe stretch it for some more RAM.

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

ATI Radeon 32MB DDR 4X AGP Video Card - OEM Powered by the ATI RADEON graphics processing unit (GPU) Featuring ATIs CHARISMA ENGINE, PIXEL TAPESTRY and VIDEO IMMERSION technologies - NO TV OUT (* This card come with Chipset heat sink fan unlike the LE version. *) Model#: RADEON 32M DDR - $42.00
    This comes from Newegg
    Though with any high end GPU you CPU is going to be the limiting factor....maybe you should start planning a CPU/Mobo/RAM/Video upgrade.

6. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Dont worry, this game will run well on any video card. Im running with an Asus Geforce 2 GTS:

$48 at Newegg.com (A BAD BAD COMPANY)

7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

8. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

New Egg has sent me PLENTY of garbage stuff (Over two orders placed within a short time frame) and guages on shipping costs.

9. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

What does that mean, "garbage stuff"? Stuff that was DOA? I've used them a lot too and they've always been fast, cheap and reliable for me.

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

11. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

PLENTY is not the right word for 2 orders...[​IMG]
    I too have ordered from newegg with great results.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I've had zero issues with newegg.com, and they've got a *huge* fanbase on the likes of anandtech.com.

Personally, if I was looking at a cheap 32MB card, I'd be buying the Geforce2GTS 32MB from Newegg - mine cost me $51, and it can be very easily overclocked to run at clockspeeds matching the next card up from it. Zero problems with mine so far.

13. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

I would say the best bang for the buck on video cards right now is the standard GeForce 3, it can be had for about $150. Personally, I am holding out till they release the GeForce 4 4200, it offers quite a performance jump for only $50 more. I hear it is coming out next month. I have a P3 1Ghz, 384mb RAM and a GeForce 2 MX, Jedi Outcast runs flawlessly at 1024x768 32bit, but I want to be able to do AA so it is time for an upgrade.

14. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Yeah, the GF2 GTS-V card with 32MB is about the best value out there. It'll be much faster than the more expensive GF2 MX 200 and 400s. $48.00 plus shipping from NewEgg.com.