Recommend a graphing calculator.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Justin Ward, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I am taking engineering and will probably specialize in electrical in later years. I am looking at graphing calculators for this program. I currently have an old TI-81 I got for $10. I've heard people say the TI-83/plus won't cut it for this type of engineering.

So what type of calc should I be looking for? I don't want to spend tons of money but I won't cheap out either. I am more familiar with TI calcs but would consider other brands too if they are better.

Thanks

2. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

The HP-49 is the recommended calculator at my school (University of Missouri-Rolla). A lot of people get by with a TI-86 or 89 but math instructors are not required to know anything on the TI. UMR is 90% engineering of 19 or so diciplines so they pretty much know which calculator is most versatile.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    most schools will tell you to get a TI because they are 'easier' to learn. i will always use an HP, especially for engineering. i have the HP48GX, and it worked very well for me. in my electromechanical engineering program, about half of us have HP calcs, and the other half dont like them because HP uses postfix (RPN) notation, where the TI uses standard notation. for example, to do a calculation on a normal calculator, you hit these buttons in this order...

4 + 4 =

for HP calcs, you do it this way

4 4 +

i find it to be more efficient, but its all personal preference. more info (and a pantload of software) can be found at hpcalc. if you go with a TI, make sure its the TI-89, quite a powerful little machine.

CJ