Recommend a good vcr

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas H G, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

I'm looking to buy a vcr and was hoping somebody here could recommend one. I'm looking for something cheap--record tv shows and play the occasional vhs. I'm a student so money is a issue, but I don't want an P.O.S. I was hoping for something decent for under 100, hopefully less than that.
    Thanks for you help.

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Try to stick with a relatively famous name brand and you should be ok...However, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. [​IMG]

3. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Know of any good websites that would review them?

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    It's such a dying breed it's hard to find anyone "reviewing" them anymore. Maybe check Epinions.com or CNET.com, places like that have user reviews.

5. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

For VCRs, I usually recommend Panasonic. These days, they will have several models at $75 or under, I imagine.

Most Panasonics I have come across are beltless, multimotor designs. Ask anyone who repairs VCRs what goes wrong most often... the answer is usually a belt problem. Panasonic avoids most of these problems, usually having neither a load belt nor a drive belt. Some don't even have a traditional idler... which is another weak point in VCR design...

Quasar is built by Panasonic, and has the same basic design.

VCRs are a dying breed, however... it won't be long before they go the way of the audio cassette deck... yeah... you can stil find them, but no manufacturer focuses on them any more...

Bottom line... if I were to buy a VCR tomorrow, I'd buy the cheapest Panasonic I could lay my hands on.

-Scott

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Oh and if you happen to find an older model Hi-Fi VCR from late late 80's or early 90's in a pawn shop or garage sale/ flea market etc. You MAY be able to copy DVD's to tape (if you feel the need) since the old vcr's don't have the Macrovision circuit stuff built into them.

Of course you would copy them for you own personal use.

Alfer