Recommend a good surge suppressor for HT and coax/phone jacks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Emery B, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Emery B

Emery B Agent

As the title says, I am looking for a good quality surge suppressor to handle my TV, Receiver, DVD player, DirecTV receiver and coax run, plus phone jack for the same. I've seen the Monster suppressors at Best Buy, but I wanted to know what others use and like (and what they paid)...thanx

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Here's a start, especially if you don't get sidetracked into (power) line conditioners that go for hundreds of $$$.
    Stores will push the Monster line but they can be overpriced. This Belkin is sold in Office type stores, Wal-Mart etc. but it's easy to order direct from the company online. Don't rely on the $50,000 or whatever guarantees; it's not an automatic giveaway for any of these makers. And no surge device protects against direct lightning strikes.
    For a phone line jack, look at the DSS SurgemasterII F5C695-CW-SYN for $24.99. (I have the $57 model - no phone jack needed)
    See www.belkin.com and start with Power Protection then Audio/Video.

3. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

TripLite Isobar DBS. You can probably find one for ~$60 @ places like MCMElectronics or Global-Mart.

PF

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'll second the vote for Belkin products. I use the Belkin SurgeMaster II F5C695-DSS with all of my A/V gear, which goes for around $35 at Home Depot. It has phone and coax jacks.

Bill is right on in that no surge protector will protect your gear against a direct lightning strike. To be safe, I always switch off my surge protectors and unplug them when I am out of town. I had a Dell computer get fried by an apparent lightning strike while I was away in Europe for 8 days over the summer. I had unplugged the surge protectors for my A/V gear, but not the one used for the computer. I learned my lesson.

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'll second the Tripplite Isobar DBS. I use one- it's got a high surge rating, and metal case.

If you want power protection, an always on UPS is really the only thing worth doing. They can be noisy, and they sure are expensive.

Todd

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Something like the Tripp Lite ISOBAR 6 goes for about $50 and is built like a tank...the filter banks for each socket on the Tripp Lite is also a plus. Just about all of the Tripp Lite products topped the Consumer Reports mag test of about 20 other protectors. The three Belkin protectors tested had poor results and were all ranked last.
    http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...rmat=7#product

7. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Tripplite (tripplite.com) products protect all of our audio, video, telephone, computer, and fax equipment. The Isobars are built like tanks, offer the best protection, and cost little. The Dell computer store (dell.com) sells them, too.

Also, why not purchase a product that offers an equipment guarantee, especially from a company like Tripplite that offers excellent customer service? Call them if you need advice, as I did twice last year--they're very helpful.

8. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I love my monster 2500, it cleaned up my picture and opened up my sound a bit more...you can get one on ebay for about 175.00. I may have had some power probs. because it was night and day difference to me.

9. Emery B

Emery B Agent

Thanks for the input, guys. I bought a Belkin SurgeMaster II from Home Depot tonight and hooked it up. It seems to work well but also seems a bit flimsy...gonna order the TrippLite ISOBAR 6 from buy.com instead and return the SurgeMaster....seems like a tougher product for not much more $$$.
    Thanks!! [​IMG]
    Edited to clarify...I ordered the ISOBAR 6 DBS for the DirecTv receiver...the same one linked to above.

10. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

EB, make sure you check out details on the TrippLites for some of the Isobar models may NOT have both coaxial & phone line protection. If you have to have both the 'DBS' model is the one to go. I am using three of the same TrippLites plus a Panamax conditioner on my systems.
    Check this out:
    http://www.tripplite.com/products/fa...rge/isobar.cfm
    PF

11. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Just wondering. Connecting the coaxial cable from the cable outlet to the surge bar and then back out to your HT will decrease the quality of video right?

12. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Not to worry. After I purchased our Isobar 6 DBS's I critically examined our very clean cable signal that was passed through a unit to our 36" Sony Wega. The picture quality did not change even slightly. I was surprised and obviously pleased. It is certainly a very high-quality product.

13. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

EB, I just got an e-mail from globalmart ( http://www.globalmart.com ) whom I bought from in the past and they now have the TrippLite DBS @ $65 which I think is a very good price. In fact several months ago I had to pay more for my third DBS from another vender (even after shopping around).
    In the same e-mail they also included a 10% off coupon code which I don't have any immediate use, I mean immediate. If you are interested send me a PM with your e-mail. You have to act quick before I find something interesting such as another TrippLite [​IMG] (those things have life time warranty so an extra one wouldn't hurt) but I'll give you 48 hours.
    Keep in mind my PM section has been acting up to where I may not be able to retrieve at times but will go by the time of your PM not when I can get to it. Btw, that code may even be good for multiple uses but you will have the first shot in the next 48 hours (clock starts as I submit this reply [​IMG] ). Happy Holidays.
    P.S. EB, I just saw your edited reply about the buy.com deal & tell you that is an excellent price. Now, I need to convince myself I don't need an extra. [​IMG] May be at least I'll let Globalmart know they got beat big time.
    PF