What's new

Recommend a good sub $500 HDMI receiver :) (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
So, I just picked up a PS3 today. I don't know if I'll keep it or not, but if I do, I'm going to need something with HDMI switching, because I already use the one HDMI port on my TV to hook up video from my computer, and my current receiver only has 1 optical input, which also gets a signal from my computer. So basically, I need an inexpensive receiver with HDMI switching, and a bunch of optical audio inputs. HDMI 1.3 would be nice, but I realize I probably wont get that in a cheap package, just yet. A quick search at Crutchfield turned up the Onkyo TX-SR604 and the Sony STR-DG800. Others I should look at or wait for?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
There are no HDMI 1.3 receivers on the market, they won't be available until Q1 or Q2 of 2007. Here are your three best bets for HDMI switching under $500:

Pioneer VSX-1016TXV
Harman Kardon AVR 245
Onkyo TX-SR604

Personally I would go with the Pioneer or the HK, enjoy!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
What exactly is offered extra by 1.3 over 1.1? I see in the HD Hardware forums, people are talking about already getting Dolby TrueHD or whatever. That is something 1.1 will support?

Any reason you recommend the HK and Pioneer over the Onkyo?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Just brand preference, no particular reason.. I typically lean towards Arcam, Rotel, Denon, NAD, Pioneer Elite, or HK.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Ok, thanks. I'm lazy ;) And was running out the door right after I posted that. So I'll basically have to live with Dolby Digital or DTS unless I wait and spend a lot more money! So I'll go cheap :) I'm currently using a 6-7 year old Kenwood VR-309 that I got with a home theater in a box setup. I really just need more optical inputs and HDMI.

Brian

Edit: Will any of these take the PCM audio that the PS3 has converted from the HD audio formats?

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
After further research, it looks like the HDMI inputs on these receivers only pass the video data, and not audio, so I'd still have to use an optical or coax digital connection. It's not a huge deal, but I'm starting to lean towards getting a cheap HDMI 2x1 switch from Monoprice, and a optical-coax converter. Then I can keep my current receiver for a bit longer, and save some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks