What's new

Recommend a good PC action game for me (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big 1st/3rd person-shooter fan as long as the game is worthwhile. Until such time as Theif III amd the Max Payne sequels come out, I'm looking for something that provdes a moderate amount of challenge without being mind-numbingly difficult.

I've already bought:
- all of the Rainbow Six series, including Raven Shield
- Ghost Recon
- All of the Unreal games (including Tournament, Tournament 2003, and Unreal II)
- Thief I and II
- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Max Payne
- Splinter Cell
- Half-Life: Blue Shift/Opposing Force

I've also played:
- James Bond Nightfire (piece of crap)
- Red Faction 2 (not impressed)
- No One Lives Forever I & II (can't wait for III)

So, I'm looking for a similar PC-based game to waste .. er .. take up my time and fits in with the kind of games that I've listed above. Suggestions?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I would highly recommend both Black Hawk Down (a bit more arcade and less realism) or Vietcong which does suffer from some technical problems but has some of the best atmosphere in a shooter since Medal of Honor Allied Assault. Both are highly worth a purchase for thier single player games as well some great multiplayer fun.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Be prepared to die a lot in Black Hawk Down. Also, the AI sucks. I also would recommend SOF 2 for just flat out carnage. It's easily the most violent game I've played. Online play really kicks ass too. About that bug you mentioned; I guess I never really noticed it as I used cheat codes, but the game is definitely hard in some spots and the enemies do shoot at you if they even hear a mouse fart, hence the codes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've had SOF2 since it came out but won't really be able to play the single player until I get my new computer. But, the little I've played, I don't like it. I'm a big Raven fan, and I liked the first SOF quite a bit. But, when I shoot a full clip from the grease gun into a guy's chest at point range and he doesn't die, something's wrong. Also, the scripting seems kind of bad. I'm supposed to be on a secret mission, yet these soldiers kick open the door of a shipping crate to attack me? Why were they in there to begin with? Annoying.

But, the online play is awesome. I still play it just about every night. It's probably the most fun I've had online.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
Mafia, I love that game and I highly recommend it! It is the only game I know I'll end up playing through again, which I never do with games. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
But, when I shoot a full clip from the grease gun into a guy's chest at point range and he doesn't die, something's wrong.
That's the one thing that I despise about the Rainbow Six series, and Red Storm refuses to do anything about it. It suffers from exactly the same thing as though the span of the reticule is immediate upon the bullet exiting the weapon instead of going out as a cone into infinity. Unbelievably annoying!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
After emptying the clip, a couple of head shots with the Silver Talon did the trick. A couple of knives also seem to work (I think one will do it if the guy is unaware of your presence). All in all, not real impressed with the solo-play. But, as I said, I had to quit around the time of that highway gunning level. My current computer couldn't handle it.

I hope there'll be a SOF3, and I hope it'll either be multi-play only or severely revamped. I don't ask for one bullet kills, but at least get it in line with other games. That said, SOF3 with physics and the Doom 3 engine could be very cool.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
For some really fun action, try the Serious Sam games. Dirt cheap and quite a bit of fun.

Glen

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Deus Ex!! $10 and one of the best games made in the last few years. If it is not on the $10 shelf at Best Buy and CompUSA like it used to be, look on eBay...do anything you can to get it! I also second the Serious Sam games.....massive, mindless, Doom-like fun. Another great one you can find in the $10 bin these days is System Shock 2.

$20 (probably less) can get you Deus Ex and System Shock 2.
Deus Ex alone will have you playing for many hours.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Vietcong....??? I can't say that I've ever heard of it.
Not suprising. It wasnt a huge mainstream success but has a decent player base that you can find online games with. The game was initially released with some terrible framerate problemsbut subsequent patches have alleviated the issues.

If you enjoy a good action game with some serious Vietnam atmosphere (Im talking walking through neck high jungles only to hear sniper fire and one of your squad mates go down. Its pretty damned tense!) then I would really recommend you give it a try. There is a demo of the game readily available if you want to give it a go here:

Vietcong single and multiplayer demos

PS: I cant second that Mafia recommendation enough. One of the best PC games released last year and easily finable for 20 bucks. Same goes for Deus Ex.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... I actually have DeusEx already. It came with some component (video or audio card) that I purchased, but I never installed it.

The Serious Sam games are very cool, and you definitely cannot argue with the price! I still think that Croteam should license out the Serious Engine for other games. I've always been impressed with that graphics engine.

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Deus Ex!! $10 and one of the best games made in the last few years. If it is not on the $10 shelf at Best Buy and CompUSA like it used to be, look on eBay...do anything you can to get it! I also second the Serious Sam games.....massive, mindless, Doom-like fun.
Be real careful there. I know...at least in the past...they were selling a DEMO version of Deus Ex in the bargain bins for $10. It says something misleading like "special edition" or somesuch.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Quake 3 is old, but a lot of fun! Serious Sam is great too. I also really like Tribes 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks