What's new

Recommend a good DVD-A disk to start off (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I noticed the threads you referred to dealing with hyperbole and splitting the forum. It is this kind of garbage that is bringing down the site. In any event, I agree with you 100%. I will continue to visit the site looking for news and other interesting discussions, but I am getting fed-up with having to wade through the nonsense.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
How does the DVD-A of Steely Dan's Two Against Nature compare to the DTS soundtrack on the DVD? It is enough of an improvement to justify a purchase if I already own the studio CD and concert DVD?

I just became DVD-Audio capable (upgraded my receiver to a new Pioneer Elite to go with my current Panasonic RP-91 DVD video/audio player).

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Metallica- Black album

Natalie Merchant- Tigerlily

Fleetwood Mac- Rumors

Doors- LA Woman

As far as a few others I have I was a bit dissapointed with

Hootie and the Blowfish- Cracked Rearview and STP- Core

Dont know much about Jazz or classical so I cant help you there.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
My favorite DVD-A is "Celebrating the music of Weather Reports".

Some of the best Jazz players led by Jason Miles producer keybordist,to play homage and the songs of one of the best fusion band ever!

This is a must if you a fan of genre and/or the band.

A very dynamic muti channel mix,fare more exiting then the 2ch one,this music is really "asking" for it.[this title is also available on SACD].

My other recomendation is coming from DTS Entertaiment.

It's Esteban's "Enter the Heart".

This is a nice flamenco guitar recording,[with plenty of other instruments as well] but with some exotic kicks,especially the track called "Mediterana".I also prefer the multi mix here as well.

Check it out!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I don't have the Steely Dan Two Against Nature DVD (yet), but the DVD-Audio disc is outstanding. I have compared the stereo track to the CD, and there is no comparison. Since you have a DVD-Audio player and seem to like Steely Dan, you should definitely get the DVD-Audio disc. It probably is the best-sounding DVD-Audio disc I own.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I only thought there was one DVD-A disc out there. Metallica - Black Album. Or wait, maybe it was one goog DVD-A disc!!!

Actually, to be serious. The Blue Man Group. I haven't heard the DVD-A disc. But, I've seen them in Vegas and have the regular CD. That would probably be pretty cool in DVD-A.

Jesper Nielsen

Auditioning
It may be a little off topic - but it's good news..
I just got mail from Rhino were they told DVD Audio is far from dead and we should keep looking at the "upcomming titles" at the site. There will come many great albums
I can wait for Rhino's great titles! :D And other's ofcourse...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jesper, did the e-mail from Rhino really say that DVD-Audio is "far from dead"? ;) Seriously though, could you post the actual e-mail here? I'd like to see exactly what they said. Thanks in advance.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I was just on their website for a half hour & couldn't even FIND any sign of DVD Audio (I even searched DVD Audio & American Beauty & came up with "nothing found"). Where the hell IS it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks