Recommend a good DVD-A disk to start off

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Getting into DVD-A which ones do you recommend to start off the DVD Audio experience with?

2. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Eagles Hotel California, if you like that kind of music.

Great acoustic & electric guitars & vocals.

America Homecoming, is right there with it.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Howard, here are a few of my favorite DVD-Audio discs from a music and sound-quality standpoint:

Eagles Hotel California

Steely Dan Two Against Nature

Fleetwood Mac Rumours

Inside the Music: Women on Top

The last title is compilation of '80s hits by female artists and only offers a surround-sound track. Although I prefer stereo, I think it's an excellent disc.

I don't have the America Homecoming disc, but I am going to have to grab it because I keep hearing good things about it. Ditto the Doobie Brothers Captain and Me DVD-Audio disc.

4. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I want something that sounds much better than the equivalent cd version but of course the music has to sound good. Anything in the classical or jazz area that is worth getting even if I have the cd version?

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Howard, I am not a big classical fan, but there are a few Daniel Barenboim titles out on DVD-Audio. I got one as a freebie when I bought my DVD-Audio player, but truthfully, I have hardly listened to it. So, I can't comment on classical music on DVD-Audio. I will say that there are many more classical titles available on SACD. Ditto for jazz. I can't think of a classic jazz title available on DVD-Audio. Most of the DVD-Audio titles that have been coming out have been in the pop/rock genre.

6. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

If you go to www.elusivedisc.com they have some DVD-Audio releases on the TACET label that happen to be all classical music. I haven't personally heard these, but I asked a question about them on www.audioasylum.com and all the responses were favorable. I am considering purchasing the Bach "Brandenburg Concertos" on Tacet DVD-Audio.
    My personal favorite DVD-Audio discs for sound quality are:
    Grateful Dead - "American Beauty"
    Grateful Dead - "Workingman's Dead"
    America - "Homecoming"
    Doobie Brothers - "The Captain and Me"
    Steely Dan - "Two Against Nature"
    Eagles - "Hotel California"
    Blue Man Group - "Audio"
    There are a few jazz titles out, two of which I own. They are not sonic masterpieces, but I don't think they will disappoint:
    Billy Cobham - "Spectrum"
    Pat Metheny - "Imaginary Day"

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I've read a little bit about the TACET recordings, but not enough to know if the titles are significant (composer, conductor, music, performers). It seems, however, that SACD has it big time over DVD-Audio when it comes to classical music. Sony has released classic Bernstein and Szell recordings on SACD, plus titles by Yo-Yo Ma. That's just the beginning of the classical catalog on SACD. Jazz is the same way with the Miles, Brubeck, Armstrong, Mingus, etc., etc., etc. out on SACD.

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Keith, you are correct in that SACD has the lions share of classical and jazz releases, both currently out and scheduled for the future.
    Obviously, DVD-Audio seems to be marketed more toward the classic rock and pop crowd (not such a bad thing) more so than SACD.
    As far as I know Warners has only released 4 jazz titles - the 2 I mentioned and "Fourplay" as well as George Benson - "Breezin". And I don't think I have even heard word one about anybody who bought either of these titles and what their quality might be like.
    I really wonder about the future of DVD-Audio with the slow down in releases, the neglect Warners has shown towards it's www.dvdaudiopreview.com web site, and the very few announcements from other labels (other than a few specialty labels like TACET and Surroundedby) that they will release predominently DVD-Audio software. Telarc has released 2 titles so far, but that pales in comparison to their SACD offerings. And I think the same is true for Chesky - more SACD than DVD-Audio.
    I guess only time will tell - but if you listen to many on www.audioasylum.com that time has already come. I think THAT may be a bit premature.

9. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Howard,

Beethoven Symphony #9 Daniel Barenboim on the Teldec label sounds amazing. It is 24/96 5ch or 24/96 2ch sound. Pick this one up, you'll love it. DVD Planet has it for $18.74

10. John Tillman

Michael:

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    There is a well recorded and mastered DTS CD of Dave Grusin's West Side Story arrangements, but I have not waded too far in the DVD-Audio waters with Jazz yet.
    Addendum: Edited post because I accidentally typed the name "David Grisman", mandolin picker extroardinaire, who I saw in concert last weekend when I meant to type "Dave Grusin" - sorry for the confusion, if any. [​IMG]
    Regards,

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Classic Jazz on Silverline's Inside The Music series is excellent---Mercy, Mercy, Mercy sounds like you're in the club with Cannonball Adderly!!!

13. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Yes, I forgot all about the Inside the Music, Classic Jazz title - and I even own it.

It is a pretty good recording - but it is one of those Silverline sampler discs with cuts from many different artists, that are more like KTEL records releases than cohesive albums.

14. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
  15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Does anyone own the 1812 overture DVD-A that is out? I think it is recorded by the Cincinnati Pops and has other Tchaikovsky pieces on it as well.

I am very curious about how it sounds...but not $28 curious without getting some kind of review.

16. HankM

HankM Second Unit

The 1812 Overture is very good. You have the choice of 24bit/88.2kHz stereo or 20bit/88.2kHz 6 channel sound. This is the best recording I've heard of this piece. Very smooth with an awesome soundstage. The surrounds aren't bloated either, a big plus. You can find it cheaper at DVD Planet or Music Direct.

17. John Tillman

OK, I gave Breezin (George Benson) another spin tonight and couldn't rate the sonic quality up there with the Doobies, America or Hotel California.

It plays stereo or 6 channel 96kHz very clean, but just doesn't come through as the others. 2 channel was OK, 6 channel sounded better with bright cymbals coming from behind, although not really giving the envelope effect.

It's a good album, but the sonics could be better.

18. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Howard if you want some classical try the Naxos DVD-A of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I found the disc over at A&B Sound on Seymour and its cheap to boot. I think I paid just over $20 CAD for it.

Patrick

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike Frezon,
    I've read in magazines and on Audio Asylum that the Telarc SACD of 1812 Overture is better than the DVD-Audio release. I have neither, so I have no opinion.
    Michael,
    The incessant discussions of the demise of DVD-Audio on Audio Asylum is one reason you don't see me post there too often these days. I am tired of the senseless diatribe. The fact is that no one knows what will happen to DVD-Audio or SACD.

20. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit