Recommend A Good Daily Vitamin

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Carmona, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Anyone take any daily vitamins?
    There are friggin hundreds available, has anyone read anything about which are really worth buying/taking?

Thanks!

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Centrum.

If you belong to Costco or Sam's Club you can usually get a year's worth for under $10

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You might check Consumer Reports. I seem to recall them testing vitamins to see which actually measured up to their claimed content.

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I like the Centrum chewables. Like Flintstones for big kids.[​IMG]

EDIT- or are they One-a-Day chewables? I forget.

5. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

I take the One-A-Day Men's Formula pill. It seems to do the job. [​IMG]

Rafael.

6. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

My gf is now moonlighting as a Juice Plus seller. Check it out here.

BTW, the gummies (chewables) are great. Who says they're just for children?[​IMG]

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have heard that multi-vitamins WITHOUT iron may be less likely to cause nausea that some experience with a large dose. If you eat meat and/or red beans, you should be getting enough iron.

8. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Thats interesting Hunter, have you been taking any of those?

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I take Centrum also. I'm sure there is something better out there that offers .0003437 more of something but it wasn't worth the effort to find it.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    99.9% of vitamins sold in this country are chemically identical - in fact, many of the actual powdered or liquid vitamin formulations come from the same handful of factories and they're just combined and packaged by a vitamin "company" such as Centrum, One-A-Day, etc.

There is no more difference between brand "A" vitamin C and brand "B" than there is between brand "A" table salt and brand "B". NaCL is NaCL and C is C.

So it's all the same stuff. If you're eating a good, balanced diet you shouldn't need to supplement it with vitamins at all, but if you want to make sure you're not missing or skimping on something, buy a good general multi-vitamin. If you have reason to think that your diet leaves you short of Iron or some other mineral or metal, find one that includes whatever you're missing. And get the brand that is on sale that week. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Thanks Joe

12. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I take Centrum or generic equivalents. Have been for maybe 15 years or so. I recently added Omega 3 fish oil pills (2) from Sam's Club. So 1 multi-vitamin and 2 Omega 3 pills daily.

13. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I'm a believer in taking a good multi-vitamin. I've been taking them everyday now for about 3 years. If I feel a cold coming on I'll often take a bunch of vitamin C tablets too. I've noticed that I don't get those annoying colds nearly as often as I used to (especially in the winter). I don't know if it's the vitamins or something else, but I plan to keep on takin' 'em!

Matt

14. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Ehh, could be, but colds tend to do less harm as we grow older and become more immune to them.

15. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Yeah, she's got me switched.:b I think it's a good alternative if you're looking for something natural.

As you can see from the website, they're not really multi-vits. They're condensed fruits and veggies. They take all the nutritional value from several fruits and vegatables and put them into pills. You're getting your nutrition from actual food, minus the water, salt, sugar and calories.

Just like multi-vitamin pills, they are not a substitution for a balanced diet. Rather they decrease the gap between what you should be getting and what you actually are getting.

As for the multi-vits, I heard that you piss out a lot of the vitamins within two hours. Even though the pills might have a 100% of the daily requirement, your body is not absorbing all of it.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I was taking some GNC ultra mega gold something or other, Don't think I would reccomend them because of the price, and the smell, oh god the smell.

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i have a bottle of that mega-men vitamin stuff from GNC in a drawer at home.. i really should take them, instead of wasting my money...

Hehe, Philip, besides the smell, now they're GREEN, a solid dark forest GREEN... Some kind of chlorophyll time-released coating something or other.. but it definitely does not make it any more pleasant...

And did you notice your pee turn bright yellow while you were taking them? Im serious [​IMG]

18. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Glad this topic came up since I was just looking into starting with a good multi vitamin myself. In all honesty, I eat terrible. I just don't eat on a regular schedule or have a very balanced diet, so for me a multi-vitamin seems like it might be a good idea.

My questions would be, what do people think of the liquid multi-vitamin?

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer