What's new

recommend a free FTP program (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

can anyone recommend a good (and hopefully free) ftp program?

it doesn't have to be anything fancy, since all i imagine i'll do is transfer files up (or down) from the server.

thx!

ted

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I like to use a program called LEECHFTP. It allows multiple connections simultaniously for upload/download. Though it hasnt been updated, i still use it, google it.

I do remember using some popular ones, but i use LeechFTP most

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The free-est of the free is to just use your browser. IE will work as a drag-and-drop FTP client. Instead of typing "http://address.tld" enter "ftp://address.tld" into the Address textbox.

I use WS_FTP but am reluctant to recommend it to people with simple needs, as its interface (of the free version) is woefully outdated. It's ugly, doesn't recognize DOS/Windows filename extensions, and doesn't provide an icon view. But it is fast and simple once you understand its clunky inteface.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
awesome guys...thx.

i think i'll give smart ftp a try first..then move on to other recs if i don't like it.

i think i tried ws_ftp before, but i can't remember now. i know i've tried cute, but it's not freeware.

thx again,

ted

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Just got turned onto SmartFTP (by Chris H above), after years of using WS_FTP. I've also used Cute. Smart just rocks. :D

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
It's not free, but I still say CuteFTP is the best FTP program around, and well worth the price. It's been one of my best software purchases. I mean it's not like your going to have to upgrade your FTP program a lot, if ever, so I say shell up the bucks and get the best. IMHO anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks